Compression Fittings Threads

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Compression Fittings Threads

Post by dean_wales » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:41 am

Hello,

Might be me being stupid here but does anyone know what the thread is on the ends of 15 and 22mm compression fittings?

I might want to screw a 1/2 or 3/4 female elbow onto a tank connector or deck drain and wondered if it was the same thread?

Also does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced stainless or brass deck drain. Both in 1/2 and 3/4 threads?

Thanks,

Dean.
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

tigerpaws

Re: Compression Fittings Threads

Post by tigerpaws » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am

I can't remember if the threads are the same . But you could fit F-F flexi line.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:20 am

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:11 pm

The threads on compression fittings are usually 1/2" BSP and 3/4" BSP (for the 15mm and 22mm fittings). That's not guaranteed, but I don't recall ever coming across one that wasn't. Just occasionally, however, the threads turn out to be not quite long enough to attach other fittings.

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,

I have been using this tank connector from screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/tank-coupler-15mm/82376 with 15mm compression and fitting 1/2 BSP fittings to the compression end.

Hope that helps

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Dr. Dextrin wrote:The threads on compression fittings are usually 1/2" BSP and 3/4" BSP (for the 15mm and 22mm fittings). That's not guaranteed, but I don't recall ever coming across one that wasn't. Just occasionally, however, the threads turn out to be not quite long enough to attach other fittings.

+1
Drink till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

If i can't brew it i dont drink it

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

stu-le-brew
Hollow Legs

Post by stu-le-brew » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:01 am

Dr. Dextrin wrote:The threads on compression fittings are usually 1/2" BSP and 3/4" BSP (for the 15mm and 22mm fittings). That's not guaranteed, but I don't recall ever coming across one that wasn't. Just occasionally, however, the threads turn out to be not quite long enough to attach other fittings.
plus another 1

one variation to be cautious of is sometimes stainless fittings will use BSPT thread, which means it is tapered
Stu-le-brew
All stainless system, thanks supplier on EBay France
100ltr Copper gas powered
80ltr insulated Mash Tun (Thermopot)
70ltr electric HLT with home made digital temp controller (with PID and SSR)
pumped sparge system and pumped stainless immersion chilling system for summer use (using a ice/water-bath)

DaveSmith

Post by DaveSmith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 am

1/2" bsp fits 15mm plumbing threads perfectly but unfortunately 3/4" bsp is not the same as 22mm. If you search the web you can find adapters between the two.
You can also get adapter bushes for 1/2" bsp to 3/4" easily too.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Apologies. DaveSmith is perfectly correct, the 22mm fittings are not 3/4" BSP (although the old 3/4" compression fittings which they replaced generally are, I think).

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Such knowledge and experience. I knew I could rely on you guys! Can you run your approving or disproving eyes over the following as I find the guys at the plumbers merchants don't tend to be that interested in chatting about bits and pieces to non-trade customers.

I hate syphoning with dip tubes - it has to be a stainless false bottom with a bottom drain below. But I am on a draconian budget!!!

So I want to fit a cheap drain to the base and tap to the side of my 50litre stainless vessel I am using as a mash tun and plan to do the following...

15mm brass tank connector coming out the middle of the base. I would remove the nut and olive...

Screwed directly onto the thread of the tank connector would be a female 1/2"BSP x 15mm brass elbow. Regular brass or chromed...
ImageImage

Short scrap of 15mm copper pipe to take it accross and out through the outer skin of my vessel.

Immediately after the skin there would be a 15mm x 3/4 BSP washing machine valve like this. The cheapest valve I can find and handily has a 3/4 thread on it - ideal for hose connection...
I dont quite understand what the "check valve" or "pegler" features are though and whether I would need it. I think pegler is a brand name? Does a check valve mean that it in one direction flow only? If so I would not want that, for cleaning and possible future under letting etc? Would flow rates be an issues?

I would then be able to directly screw on a 3/4 BSP brass tap connector like this (I know its not 100% food safe):

Which would allow me to connect to my existing reinforced clear hose (with a quick release brass fitting on the end):
ImageImage

I dont mind using PTFE and/or some kind of sealant to ensure a good fit but I dont want any leaks. Too many years of that with plastic stuff and this will be covered and sealed inside insulation.

Thanks,

Dean.

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm

In fact. If only I could find a cheap brass or stainless 90 degree bent tank connector this would all be simpler and more compact to install.

Can only see plastic ones...

Dean.

EDIT: Some serious googling has led me to this: http://www.generalsupplies.com/products ... number=378

Gonna send them an email now to see if they are available and price etc.

DaveSmith

Post by DaveSmith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Looks like you've got everything sorted out.
My only comment is that the washing machine valves are sometimes fairly easy to turn (and may be a slightly smaller bore) whereas a level ball valve would probably be a bit stiffer and so less likely to get knocked open accidentally. If you could stretch to the extra cost of a ball valve you would obviously need an extra bush adapter to take you back up to 3/4" bsp of the tap connector from the 1/2"bsp of a 15mm valve.

DaveSmith

Post by DaveSmith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:42 pm

I'd go for the first tank connector that you pictured as you can tighten it up from the outside when the vessel is full by gripping the main thread with some mole grips. I know that you should check that all joints are tightened up before filling the vessel but I once had a minor drip when the heat slightly loosened things and the vessel was in use :oops: .

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 pm

An alternative might be a hose barb that has a 3/4" female tap connector. That'd be a bit more effort to screw on, but less likely to leak than the push-on hose fittings, IME.

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm

The solid brass hose barbs/tails combined with a jubilee are my other option but I have kinda decided against them.

PROs: Cheaper, much less likely to leak, only metal so totally foodsafe.
CONs: No quick release for cleaning and swapping around of hoses and pumps mid brewer.

Diffcult really. As per another thread I really would like some form of quick-ish realease system for the hoses as I miss it at the moment.

Thanks,

Dean.