Leaky fv

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
villalad1

Leaky fv

Post by villalad1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi all iv got a bit of a problem
Iv got a leaky fv tap and wonderd what I can use to seal it up.
Iv got a new rubber seal but it's still the same. I got it off eBay a wile ago and iv just cleaned and tested it that's when I noticed the leak.
It looks like someone has cut the hole and scored the outside of the hole and now it leaks. I want to use it to store my beer and use co2.
Thanks guys for any help
Matty

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Leaky fv

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 pm

From what you describe, it is leaking around the seal between the tap and the FV. Any scoring would have to be very bad for it not to seal. Is it an unusually large hole? You do have the seal on the outside of the FV? Are you certain that's where the leak is? I don't understand your reference to using CO2.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

villalad1

Leaky fv

Post by villalad1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi yes it's quite badly scored and I have the seal on the outside. I want to use it to store and pressurise it to carbonate and dispense my brew.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:16 am

the flat silicone baking sheets are fantastic for cutting bespoke washers from, they are soft and food safe, and hi temp safe so can be boiled :)

i use water but taps on my FV's they have a threaded barrel a washer and nut, i fit the washer and nut on the inside of the vessel.

if you seal from the inside the scratches on the outside will be irrelevant. if you have a few layers of rough cut silicone washers making the seal, as long as you strip it down and steralise them all each time you use it no nasties will be able to lurk in the folds..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

villalad1

Leaky fv

Post by villalad1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 am

That's great thanks guys il try that out. I don't want to buy another if I can repair this one. No sense throwing money away :)

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:43 am

Fil wrote:the flat silicone baking sheets are fantastic for cutting bespoke washers from, they are soft and food safe, and hi temp safe so can be boiled :)

i use water but taps on my FV's they have a threaded barrel a washer and nut, i fit the washer and nut on the inside of the vessel.

if you seal from the inside the scratches on the outside will be irrelevant. if you have a few layers of rough cut silicone washers making the seal, as long as you strip it down and steralise them all each time you use it no nasties will be able to lurk in the folds..

Be careful not to over tighten them which can kink the washers, with 'hand tightening' you can get a very effective seal and don't need to over do it...

villalad1

Leaky fv

Post by villalad1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:24 am

Ye ok thanks dan will do.
Was wondering if you could use a silicon sealer with the idea you said just to make sure it seals under pressure. Ok it would have to be for food use but do you have any ideas
Cheers guys
Matty

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Can't comment on that myself but I think others have used sealer stuff, but you'd be surprised how good the silicone bake sheets can be, and for a couple of quid you have a sheet of silicone for lots of washers/ gaskets in the future... Being able to dismantle regularly for cleaning is an advantage...

sizlingsadza

Post by sizlingsadza » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Thread tape...... :idea:

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm

and a thin film of vasalene..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt