Vials for storing split yeast ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Vials for storing split yeast ?

Post by DC » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 am

Hi all, I am looking to maybe split some White Labs yeast / harvest some previously used yeast and I am currently storing them in small fizzy water bottles but there starting to take over the fridge :shock: and SWMBO isnt impressed [-X so I was thinking of maybe buying some vials / sealable test tubes for storing the split/harvested yeast. I came across these on Ebay this morning http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10ml-Plastic- ... 19d124c91a would these be big enough to hold the harvested/split yeast :?:

Also found these from the same seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30ml-clear-sa ... 1c272cf4bd

Cheers DC :wink:
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Re: Vials for storing split yeast ?

Post by StrangeBrew » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

From my limited knowledge, I'd say you'd obviously have to cultivate a few times to step up from these 10ml or 30ml vials to get a decent sized starter.
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a small table top fridge to store your bottles in? (if you have the space).

I store my splits in 300ml amber screw cap medicine bottles I bought new from my local chemist for pennies each.

Cazamodo

Re: Vials for storing split yeast ?

Post by Cazamodo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:11 am

When I harest my yeast afetr sitting it in mason jars I usually only have around a 1cm layer of yeast settle out. I started using small 40g preserve jars to store it in to save space, now I use vials which are fulll of the yeast. I use the straight into a 1litre starter and go from there.