Mini Lathe

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hogarth
Under the Table

Mini Lathe

Post by Hogarth » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi chaps, just airing an idea here. I keep on wondering if it'd be worth getting a model-makers lathe, perhaps something like this by Draper, that I can make my own brewery fittings on instead of cobbling stuff together from bits of plumbing. For instance, designing simpler ways of attaching tubes to vessels, and drilling out tank connectors properly, and maybe coming up with simpler and more sanitary ways of putting a tap on a fermenter.

I know a few guys here have lathes ... do you use them much for brewing equipment? Or is this the sort of thing I'd use about twice and then forget about?

Also, does anyone know if these little tabletop lathes any good?

As I say, just an idea. I keep thinking 'if only I had a lathe' but it might just be me wanting a new toy now that I'm bored with PIDs etc :lol:

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Re: Mini Lathe

Post by bigrichlock » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:35 pm

The cheep ones will turn brass or plastic but stainless will probably kill it, if your serious about getting one have a look on Ebay for a Super7, if your lucky you may find one with a full set of tools for the same sort of cash. It will however prob be cheaper and a lot easier just to pay someone to make what ever you want.

Rich

boingy

Post by boingy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:10 am

In the same way that buying a guitar does not make you a musician, buying a lathe does not make you a toolmaker...

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:13 am

You need to start somewhere though ;)

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:45 am

bigrichlock wrote:The cheep ones will turn brass or plastic but stainless will probably kill it, if your serious about getting one have a look on Ebay for a Super7, if your lucky you may find one with a full set of tools for the same sort of cash. It will however prob be cheaper and a lot easier just to pay someone to make what ever you want.

Rich
Thanks for this Rich, very useful. I suppose I'd want to be able to do stainless as well as brass. The problem is lack of space. I'd love a Super7 but I don't think I could get it in under the stairs.

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:58 am

A good idea is to do a local college course in machining, one evening a week or every couple of weeks. Normally they don't mind you doing little side projects and only a couple of hundred quid. You get access to all the equipment and shown how to use not to mention all the stainless you could possibly need.

rich

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:21 pm

bigrichlock wrote:A good idea is to do a local college course in machining, one evening a week or every couple of weeks. Normally they don't mind you doing little side projects and only a couple of hundred quid. You get access to all the equipment and shown how to use not to mention all the stainless you could possibly need.

rich
Yeah, good idea.

The Dribbler
Piss Artist

Post by The Dribbler » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:56 pm

That little lathe will do most things you want to do. It will cut any material, just at a slower rate of a bigger machine.

However I suggest you buy a mini- lathe as they have big user groups and lots of spares and dedicated bits and bobs. You could also buy a verticle slide for it so you can do some milling.
http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Mini-Lathe.html

They're easy to use.
I use my 9x30 lathe most days, once you have a lathe you never have a problem, just a myriad of options. I build air rifles as a hobby and could'nt live without one. Better than TV.

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks Dribbler. That Amadeal mini lathe looks pretty good. More robust than the Draper, though rather bigger. My finger keeps straying towards the 'buy' button, but I think I need to enforce a cooling-off period.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:16 am

boingy wrote:In the same way that buying a guitar does not make you a musician, buying a lathe does not make you a toolmaker...
Unless I bought a Lathe... 'cos I'm already a Toolmaker :)

I'd be knackered with a Guitar though :D

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Three years later ...

... Hogarth finally takes the plunge. It's a Sieg Super C3. Chinese-made. 80cm long. 500 Watt motor. Lovely and quiet. :D

Now I just have to learn to use it. :whistle:

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Alternatively and at no cost - you could join a local Mens Shed, see here for further details. Our shed is equipped with 4 lathes 2 metal work and 2 wood work among many other power tools. You might be surprised how well equipped your local shed is.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:54 pm

I always wondered about this so forgive me if this is as i suspect, a stupid question. But can you do woodwork on a metal work lathe? Is it just a case of changing the tooling over or is that were you encounter the problems?

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 am

darkonnis wrote:I always wondered about this so forgive me if this is as i suspect, a stupid question. But can you do woodwork on a metal work lathe? Is it just a case of changing the tooling over or is that were you encounter the problems?
Yes, you could do as you suggest but it would be difficult to arrange. Basically you would have to remove some of the bits used for metalwork and install bits used for woodwork and most metalwork lathes do not cater for the facilities required for woodwork. Basically the technique is different in that the cutting tools for metalwork are fixed whereas the woodwork tools are handheld altho usually sitting on a metal bar to steady the tool.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 am

Nice looking machine. =D> A friend of mine has something similar. He makes steam engines for a hobby.