tin snips to cut SS sheet?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

tin snips to cut SS sheet?

Post by Fil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 am

ive read contradictory things
http://www.ehow.com/how_6216259_cut-sta ... metal.html

says yes upto 1.2mm thick (15 gauge), but isnt there varying hardness with different standards of SS?

and none of the descriptions for any tinsnips for sale online i have seen mention stainless steel as one of the materials they cut at any thickness??

im looking at possibly wanting to cut 0.9-1.2mm 304 SS?
and dont like angle grinders
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Deller12

Re: tin snips to cut SS sheet?

Post by Deller12 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 am

Stainless steel is much harder to cut compared to cold rolled mild steel. You should be able to cut 1.2mm stainless with a good set of snips as long as they are nice and sharp. Mind you a guillotine makes easy work if you lucky enough to have one at you disposal :wink: What size are you trying to cut?

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 am

As with all specs, take them with a pinch of salt. If you want to cut 1.2mm thick stainless with snips then buy some snips that claim they will cut twice that. I tried to use my snips on a false bottom and they just were not up to the job, and they are fairly large snips.

A jigsaw with a metal blade may work. You can clamp the sheet between two sheets of thin ply and cut the whole sandwich together to keep the metal flat and undistorted.

Another way to cut it would be with a nibbler, especially if you want a curved cut. It's slow but accurate.

What are you making?

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 am

Last time I made a FB in 1.2mm sheet I used a jigsaw with standard Wickes metal blades, take it slow and steady otherwise your burn the blade out.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm

thanks chaps.. its a lid for my shiny new pot im thinking of having a go at making, its not critical so ideal for cutting my SS working teeth on. or so i thought..

i thought i had something in SS suitable, an old coweling for a Microwave, but after a dig out in the garage i discovered it has all sorts of inconvenient bits of steel bonded to its underside, and vents and screw holes indented.. the salvageable clean part of which wouldnt lid much more than a jam jar..

Today I contacted a ebay seller of paella pans and lids who is not too far away so am going down to have a look whats on offer. as this would be cheaper than the raw materials of any diy option.

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Was it the ali pan you were looking at?

Failing that what about a nice stainelss dome http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190654686784? ... 1423.l2649 I was looking at the domes as part of my extractor hood idea thingy design. :?:

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm

barneey wrote:Was it the ali pan you were looking at?

Failing that what about a nice stainelss dome http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190654686784? ... 1423.l2649 I was looking at the domes as part of my extractor hood idea thingy design. :?:
OOOOOOOOOO........ £30 hmmmm its shiny :D and if sat inside the pan i should have little external condensation drips over electrics to worry about.. hmmmm, i hadnt looked at that at all..
im almost forgiving you out bidding my £44 on U know what barneey hehe.. glad its gone to a good brewing home....

this is the lid im looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55cm-Aluminiu ... 19c08ae7e8,

or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60cm-Aluminiu ... _796wt_813

but i cant tell how domed if at all they are from the straight on pics.. i would prefer a flatish lid as its easier to insulate on the outside.

im gonna bung the pot in the car drive down and see which one is the best fit? i can fill a small gap with a ring of beerline/pvc/silicone tube, i dont want to lid it and create a condensation lip/drip above any element sockets.. a 5ocm lid may fit inside even? the pot top is slightly flared and has a 1cm edge?

they go upto 90cm diameter if highly domed may be suitable for an extractor hood??
i will report back after the visit to hungerford later in the week.
looking at the pics of the smaller lids they look flater, i think the ridges may just be for strength and not shape?

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Hehe, didn't realise it was you in second place, just dont look at the pics I posted of the thing :)

As for my link to the bowl they do have other sizes + this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ST-STEEL-ROUN ... 2c63d0071d

Regards
C

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 am

barneey wrote:Hehe, didn't realise it was you in second place, just dont look at the pics I posted of the thing :)

As for my link to the bowl they do have other sizes + this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ST-STEEL-ROUN ... 2c63d0071d

Regards
C
weyhey.. :) that looked so good i took an instant punt.. if nothing else it can be used to keep all the didy bits in one place when steralised... but me thinks it will be an ideal drop in lid, and easy to insulate too.. :)
my own ebay searches didnt get any more imaginative than "big lid" and variations on the theme

no worries about the pot ive got my plate full with the one i have already, and am watching the post of your progress with it with interest and only a hint of envy.. :)

next on the upgrade path is the mash tun anyway as i cant mash enough to fill the new boiler yet.

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Wanna try poundland mate,got myself three SS trays from there and just fitted a cupboard door knob for the handle.
Last edited by tangoman on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fil

Post by Fil » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:37 pm

our £shop isnt so well stocked tho they do have drill pumps and groundmats :)