Aquarium Heater Advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Rick_UK

Aquarium Heater Advice

Post by Rick_UK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Gents

I have invested in a basic aquarium heater so I can ferment in the garage all year round. Just a couple of questions if anyone with experience of using one can assist.

Is it better to stick it into the FV or in a bucket of water with the FV in that. If the latter how big does the bucket need to be and how much of the FV needs to be immersed.

Many thanks

Rick

Steve B

Re: Aquarium Heater Advice

Post by Steve B » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 pm

I've just always stuck it into the FV - but been rigorous with regards to cleaning/sterilising. If there's a variable heat knob take it off and clean under it if you can.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 pm

My FV goes into a 40 litre trug from Asda (cost £3?) for use with an aquarium heater in winter or with colder/iced water in summer.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Eric wrote:My FV goes into a 40 litre trug from Asda (cost £3?) for use with an aquarium heater in winter or with colder/iced water in summer.
Thanks Eric. How much of the FV needs to be submerged? I have some containers which hold about 20l but would only come about a third of the way up the FV.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 pm

I used to use a smaller box, the clear retangular type that come with lid, that reached about half way up the FV. The only problem was getting enough of the heater into the water. I've two heaters, one is rated at 300 watts, the other is something like half that. To be quite frank, I can't tell you exactly how effective they are as all I do is stick my finger in the water bath to see if it's working, fermentation times are fine. For me, precisely achieving a specific temperature is less important than risking contamination. Last winter one heater was set too high for two days, but without looking back through my notes I couldn't tell which brew it was because they were all fine.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 am

I have always used them in the FV and as long as they are sanitised properly I find them to be very good indeed. I did have a problem with my first one as it failed to hold the temperature so test in water first, particularly important to set up the temperature as trial and error is usually necessary. You can get away with them just above the surface as there is a line that shows how much they have to be submerged. Theoretically it means you can then adjust the temperature, but in practise it is too wafty to be accurate enough. I have found that when aerating (I use a drill and paddle) it can rip the heater off the suckers holding it to the side of the FV. It might be worth experimenting with two vessels for that reason alone. The cheaper ones do not have any safety cut out devices, as I learnt to my cost. Removed one from a brew a couple of days ago and forgot to unplug with the inevitable result :oops:

I only use them now if I need a second brew on the go at the same time as one in my brew fridge, they are the ultimate answer.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

I've done it both ways.

However when removing from the Wort I was astounded how dirty the heater was around the temperature dial and it took ages to clean properly. I decided there and then that it represented a large infection risk on subsequent brews so I now use the water bath method with water around 2/3 up the sides of the FV.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm

ive done both, i prefered a waterbath, the scortched wort on the heater put me off dipping it in again, and the cap seal looked like a spot for nasties to lurk.

heat will rise in a liquuid so as long as you insulate well, you need only submerge the bottom 1/4 1/5th, the more the better tho, but not too much as you dont want the fv boyant.. in the garage i used a tarp and old deccorating sheets and anything on top supported by a rough frame.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Rick_UK

Post by Rick_UK » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Very helpful. Think i'll give it a go with the containers I have and insulate with on old sleeping bag.