Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

Post by stevetk189 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Yaaaaay! My Excise number came through! I can sell beer! So much stuff in the air right now, I've no idea where to start! Absolutely terrified!!!!! and exhilarated.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 pm

I'll try one!

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 pm

stevetk189 wrote:Yaaaaay! My Excise number came through! I can sell beer! So much stuff in the air right now, I've no idea where to start! Absolutely terrified!!!!! and exhilarated.

That's great news mate :D

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Cheers CJ, biggest stresser at the moment is fermenters and temp controlled space for them. If the enquiries I'm getting already are anything to go by I need 2 x 600l+ fermenters and at least 4 secondary, possibly sodding 6, tanks just so I can keep a steady stock of my core 8 beers.

Shi7 things get real big, real quick! Already looking at re-roofing the barn and building a 20C room and a 10-12C room in it for FVs and secondary.

Shi7 got real, scary times lol.

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 am

That's brilliant news!

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:09 pm

stevetk189 wrote:Cheers CJ, biggest stresser at the moment is fermenters and temp controlled space for them. If the enquiries I'm getting already are anything to go by I need 2 x 600l+ fermenters and at least 4 secondary, possibly sodding 6, tanks just so I can keep a steady stock of my core 8 beers.

Shi7 things get real big, real quick! Already looking at re-roofing the barn and building a 20C room and a 10-12C room in it for FVs and secondary.

Excellent news mate. Not to tempt you further but: i saw these and thought you might not have. :D
Cheers,
Cooky

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:49 pm

darkonnis wrote:
stevetk189 wrote:Cheers CJ, biggest stresser at the moment is fermenters and temp controlled space for them. If the enquiries I'm getting already are anything to go by I need 2 x 600l+ fermenters and at least 4 secondary, possibly sodding 6, tanks just so I can keep a steady stock of my core 8 beers.

Excellent news mate. Not to tempt you further but: i saw these and thought you might not have. :D
Cheers,
Cooky
Oh damn you! Damn you to Hull!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Steve before you ask, I think its a bit too big for me to hand deliver at the post office :)
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Aww!

First sale yesterday :) 16 bottles :)

I've also been approached by two bars already as, damn my SEO skills lol, my work in progress website is now on page one of Google for a load of craft beer related keywords (french mostly but showing up for some English too)

Another bar that's currently being refurbed after being taken over by an English couple also want to stock the full range. Yay!

Just off out into the village for a couple of beers at our local and taking some tasters with me. The owner is really keen to stock the beers but the local clientelle are, for the most part (in his words roughly translated), old fuddy duddies stuck in their ways. I suspect a free tasting evening may get some of them sampling something abit different from their usual lager with mint syrup... I kid you not, green lager - ooh yeah!

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Ahhh right, this could be good.... The trip to the local bar turned out to include meeting a reporter from the regional newspaper who specializes in local, craft business. He's wants to do an interview and write up in the new year. Free publicity to many, several thousand folks! yay + 1

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:10 am

Wow, this is really exciting Steve, you must be really chuffed. Well done, all that effort is paying off. You hear too many people moaning about what a shit deal life and or others have dealt them so it makes a fantastic change to hear about someone who takes responsibility for making it themselves. Good on you.
Last edited by orlando on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

critch

Post by critch » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:34 pm

good on you steve!one of the lads who works here had a 1/2 share in a french micro in the alps, he always says it was hard work to get em off kronenberg :-&

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Good stuff - I hope you go far!

Cheers
Kev
Kev

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:14 pm

orlando wrote:You hear too many people moaning about what a shit deal life and or others have dealt them so it makes a fantastic change to hear about someone who takes responsibility for making it themselves. Goon on you.
all too true, +1 to that.
Its nice to see a craft brewer who actually knows a bit about brewing. All too often I'm sat drinking a pint of "ye blandest bitter" listening to how said brewer isnt a brewer at all, and just decided they'd start their own brewery because their pop used to brew when they were a child and the smell of malt always reminded them of good times etc etc.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Not been around on here for long recently but here's a quick update. Brewery build virtually done bar finishing electrics and some cosmetic touch ups to the walls and floor.

Interview with local paper on Tuesday, article went in on Thursday and I was inundated with phone calls, emails and facebook page messages.

First public tasting yesterday and in three hours, I virtually sold out of everything (approx 300 bottles).

This, as yet, unfinished brewery isn't big enough LOL!!! Totally gobsmacked, an unbelievable amount of local interest. The comments from the French were brilliant, they loved the hoppy beers and were actually surprised when each beer tasted and smelled different. Lots of questions about the beer aromas, lots of surprise at it being down to hops and not added fruit concentrates etc

I'm delighted, terrified, gobsmacked and stunned all at the same time.

6 beers for public tasting, the 7th (a stout) had sold out by telephone order before the doors were opened.