Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:15 pm

once more, nice work :)

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Coming on really nicely.

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:35 am

Cheers guys, it's coming on slower than planned - I should have had it up and running by now really but what with one thing and another...

Stainless is a total twa7 to drill. I bought three special SS bits, 3mm, 6mm and 10mm to step up drilling to take my 20mm Q-Max but even with them each hole is taking me around an hour. Read loads about drilling SS, seem to following the rules, slow speed, lube etc but Jeez, what a ballache!

I'm dreading going for the two big holes to take the elements! I only have Q-Max up to 32mm (bonus, I found a bundle of them amongst a load of my Dad's metal working tools along with a couple of hefty reamers, which is nice.) so I will be ordering a 40mm TCT hole saw (ouch) via Starrett. I wanted to buy from the UK but they insisted on making me go through their French stockist, typically slow and crap service ensued (service in France is utter shi* in all areas except medical - I don't think they've got the hand of email yet either, maybe they just like the sound of their own voices so much they despise non verbal comms, dunno but they rarely reply to email and they still use FAX FFS!!!!!!) so I wrote back to UK complaining and they put me through to Germany instead.

Rapidly approaching is getting the water supply plumbed across. I can cut into a handy, cold water pipe in our cellar, about 30 feet away from the brewery but it's getting the pipe through 1m of stone wall and deep enough underground not to freeze. We get very hard frosts here and I'm not sure how deep to go with the pipe... I asked a couple of local plumbers and a building merchant, got the usual shrug and 10 minutes of bulls*it without actually getting an answer.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

beerade

Post by beerade » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

You'll be amazed how good and quick the starrett cutters are.

Minimum depth for water pipe installation over here is 750mm or in old money 2' 6. That's a lot of digging!

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 am

beerade wrote:You'll be amazed how good and quick the starrett cutters are.

Minimum depth for water pipe installation over here is 750mm or in old money 2' 6. That's a lot of digging!
I saw the vid of a starret in action, wow! 2'6 Arghh! That is a lot of digging, however EDF (our electric company) are finally moving their cables underground in the area and we have a team currently based at the end of our lane that have a very nifty mole miner machine. I was watching them and it's steerable too :)

I was thinking about offering the guys (when they get to our house) either a back hander of cash or a selection of beers if they could maybe, carry on a bit with the miner after they tunnelled to bring our new mains supply in. That would be cool, just not sure if it's a half hour job to do a few metres or a day...

beerade

Post by beerade » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:46 am

Definately! Get the lads to do it with, or without, their machine if at all possible. DIY may be a cheaper option, but it's hard graft, plus you never know what's under there until you start.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Stainless = Mill thru the first 3mm hole with a Dremel and a Carbide Burr then the bigger holes should go easier.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Steve, if you ever need any help in getting stuff shipped to France from an English addy I let me know, I`m sure it could be forwarded to you quite easily.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 pm

barneey wrote:Steve, if you ever need any help in getting stuff shipped to France from an English addy I let me know, I`m sure it could be forwarded to you quite easily.
That's good to know Barneey, cheers. I just got a quote from Starrett Germany for a 20mm and 40mm TCT hole saw for stainless... they want 25 quid for postage alone.... 2 hole saws... jiffy bag job surely FFS! Their price is about 50% higher than UK too, for the same pieces. Still waiting for a reply from La France Starrett, muppets.

tazuk

Post by tazuk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 pm

wow that is one nice brew house :mrgreen: verry verry nice i think i would be spending a few hours in there mmmmmm =D>

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

tazuk wrote:wow that is one nice brew house :mrgreen: verry verry nice i think i would be spending a few hours in there mmmmmm =D>
Cheers, I plan to spend many hours in there, my man cave! lol

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Another quickie update, cladding finished and stained. Pots in place to work out cable and pipework runs, I still think I'll end up fabricating a steel stand for the copper (left) and stand it on the floor.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Looking very tidy there Steve.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:18 pm

crafty john wrote:Looking very tidy there Steve.
Cheers, it seems to be taking forever though.

I see you're in Helmsley, I used to love it around there. Spent most weekends there when I was younger, with my folks in their motorhome. Cow House bank viewpoint was a regular stop off. I think the pubs were The Crown and The Feathers, is that right? Lovely part of the country.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 pm

stevetk189 wrote:
crafty john wrote:Looking very tidy there Steve.
Cheers, it seems to be taking forever though.

I see you're in Helmsley, I used to love it around there. Spent most weekends there when I was younger, with my folks in their motorhome. Cow House bank viewpoint was a regular stop off. I think the pubs were The Crown and The Feathers, is that right? Lovely part of the country.

Yep the feathers is really popular, I aren't too sure about the crown, there may be one but I haven't noticed I don't bother with the pubs in Helmsley I would rather go on to the moors, I drive there and the wife drives back :D And yes you are right it is a lovely part of the country.