Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
darkonnis

Re: Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

Post by darkonnis » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Good job indeed steve. Nice looking brew shed :D
I just hope I can get a similar (albeit less pleasant looking) set up in place before the garage monsters fill the place with crap again!

Belter

Post by Belter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Garage monsters are REAL!!!!!

Steve where did you buy your thermometers for your pots (The ones that look like Brewmometers)

stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Belter wrote:Garage monsters are REAL!!!!!

Steve where did you buy your thermometers for your pots (The ones that look like Brewmometers)
They're central heating boiler thermostats from a shop here called Leroy Merlin, about 9 quid each. I've checked them out against a couple of other thermometers and they're bang on accurate although they are adjustable to calibrate if need be. However the thermowell pocket isn't long enough to fit through the double skin of my thermo pot mash tun so I'll be saving up for a Mashmaster long pocket version for that.

HLT will be heated electrically via an STC1000 temperature controller so I'll have the digital readout od HLT temp from the probe plus the dial thermometer. I only added one to my boiler A) because they were cheap enough and (b) because it's a good quick indicator of the wort temp during cooling. i bought a pocket digi thermometer as I was fed up of waiting for my good old glass thermometer to indicate the temp, very slow. Turns out the digi one takes almost as long. So I buggered about with things to hold the thermometer in place dipped in the wort - bent copper wire mostly - but it's a faff and another clatt that's easier avoided so dial thermometer.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 am

will an STC not blow if you use it on an immersion element? Thought they where rated for 10 amps max?

willb
Piss Artist

Post by willb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 am

not if you fit a relay

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am

Yeah there will be relays and the two elements will be independently switchable so once the HLTs at temp, I can turn off one element. There'll also be a stainless float switch that will also need a relay to shut off the STC1000 when the liquor level begins to get low.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Bit of an update here. Doors made and fitted to the brew area. I'm now just waiting for a Starrett 20mm SS hole cutter, a 40mm Q-Max type punch and I can carry on with the brew pot mods.

Then, water filter for chlorine removal a load of pipe and fittings and start getting it all plumbed in.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 pm

I can turn off one element. There'll also be a stainless float switch that will also need a relay to shut off the STC1000 when the liquor level begins to get low.
why not use the float switches on the control side of the additional relays your adding to the stc1000
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:35 pm

20mm starett on its way ;)

MMmmmmm nice new brewhouse = no mess, looking good mate.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:26 pm

themadhippy wrote:
I can turn off one element. There'll also be a stainless float switch that will also need a relay to shut off the STC1000 when the liquor level begins to get low.
why not use the float switches on the control side of the additional relays your adding to the stc1000
Dunno, I just figured I'd get the float switch in the HLT to turn of the STC1000.

@ BArneey, cheers for forwarding the TCT Cutter, looking forward to it arriving.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Quick progress update. I've actually had two days free to make some bloody beer for a change :)

40mm Q-Max cutter arrived the other day so I have got the 2 1.5kw elements fitted in the 100l HLT.

My stainless steel float switches arrived today along with a 20mm Starrett TCT hole cutter (cheers for getting that to me Barneey). SS float switch is to cut off the elements in the HLT when I without doubt, one day, forget to turn them off when emptying the tank. I got 2 as they were about a fiver each and the spare will either remain a spare or find a home elsewhere.

Third brewday in 3 tomorrow then I'm available for more brewery build progress. I'm still trying to decide on 1 of 3 possible layouts for all the plumbing etc.... trying to make it all as efficient as possible and not wasteful of water.

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Cant remember if I`ve asked before, but where the hell did you get the 1.5KW elements from?

Cheers

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 pm

barneey wrote:Cant remember if I`ve asked before, but where the hell did you get the 1.5KW elements from?

Cheers
gadgetskingdom on ebay. From Hong Kong, nice bits of kit as far as I can tell so far. All fitted together nicely and a nice tight seal on the silicon washer thingy bit.

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm

These ones? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 944481218? , does the back screw on?

Cheers

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am

barneey wrote:These ones? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Ste ... 944481218? , does the back screw on?

Cheers
Yep they're the ones. There are three female threaded rods on the back of the stainless part, a silicon gasket and then the ceramic/hard plassy not sure back part. Three screws pass through that and screw into the front part. They nip up nice and tightly. Then there's a plastic shroud that screws over the outside. The curve of the shroud need opening out a bit to sit snugly against the curve of your pots.