Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
stevetk189
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brewhouse Build - Outbuilding Conversion

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Matt12398 wrote:Steve, that looks a bit like my drum kit in the background. Is that a Roland?

A drumming, commerical brewer. You are like my idol.
LOL, it's an Alesis DM10 - nice bit of kit at a price that doesn't take your eyes out like the Roland stuff. I have an acoustic kit too but tend to use the 'leccy one these days.
My Craft Brewery in France - Brasserie Artisanale en Limousin
My Craft Distillery in France - French Gin

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:32 pm

In other news, 2 x 120 litre fermenters arrived and I've ordered a 3m2 shed that I'm going to split into warm and cold rooms. Although, it might end up becoming the brewery and it's way more room than my current dinky one.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:40 pm

A very interesting thread, thanks for sharing and great way of introducing interesting beers to the locals.

As other people have said in previous posts, looks great living in France with a brewery in your back garden!

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:49 pm

AdyG wrote:A very interesting thread, thanks for sharing and great way of introducing interesting beers to the locals.

As other people have said in previous posts, looks great living in France with a brewery in your back garden!
Cheers, I am delighted with the response of the other locals. I expected a lot more hard work to get them to try the beers that are way different to anything currently available around here. So far the more popular beers are the big hoppy brews and the fruity wheat beer. I'm currently getting ready to trial brew a peachwood smoked, butternut squash brown ale.

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

stevetk189 wrote: I'm currently getting ready to trial brew a peachwood smoked, butternut squash brown ale.

Blimey, that will be a shock to your new customers if you choose to do a full brew!

killer

Post by killer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Awesome stuff Steve,

Great to see... There are a few bars/ caves near me selling artisanal french beer - I hope to see some of yours there soon.
On a different note, there is a new brewery near me in Paris called la brasserie de la goutte d'or.
Believe it or not the owner/ brewer had Dave Porter come over from the UK and install a brewery - in 1 day. He was funded about 9,000 euro from private donations online which he used to fund some fermenters among other bits and pieces. In return people got some free beer and brewery related stuff. You should check out his site if you haven't seen it already. He's a nice guy and welcomes people in, shows them around the brewery etc... He's trying to promote newer funky beers too.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:59 am

killer wrote:Awesome stuff Steve,

Great to see... There are a few bars/ caves near me selling artisanal french beer - I hope to see some of yours there soon.
On a different note, there is a new brewery near me in Paris called la brasserie de la goutte d'or.
Believe it or not the owner/ brewer had Dave Porter come over from the UK and install a brewery - in 1 day. He was funded about 9,000 euro from private donations online which he used to fund some fermenters among other bits and pieces. In return people got some free beer and brewery related stuff. You should check out his site if you haven't seen it already. He's a nice guy and welcomes people in, shows them around the brewery etc... He's trying to promote newer funky beers too.
Cheers for the heads up, I'm still recovering from the paperwork and misinformation assault I've been through the last year to look at selling further afield than local for now but it's in my plans. I'm familiar with la Brasserie de la goutte d'or website so I might make contact and see about popping up to Paris some time to meet with him, try his beers and see what he's up to. Thankfully there is finally a new, fresh, open eyed and growing movement here to turn away from blonde, amber and brown being the sole classification with all three tasting and smelling the same.

I've also been looking at Dave Porter's installations among others. Is it the guy on here, Haz99 or 66 or something I think, who works with him?

Re the peachwood smoked squash beer, shock and awe hopefully :D

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:55 am

Yep its Haz66, though I've never been keen the wood look.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:08 pm

pdtnc wrote:Yep its Haz66, though I've never been keen the wood look.
Cheers Ade. I tend to agree, I'm not struck on the wooden cladding so much now. I was until a few months back and it looks nice enough but I just think it's a few too many other nooks and crannies to have to keep clean.

I think I'll end up settling for a fully stainless outer set up.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am

The sun finally showed it's face and so I took a photo of the current range of beers.

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am

Nice design work. Did you do it yourself?
I've passed on your details to my man up the road and he's going to pop by at some point.

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 am

chivelegs wrote:Nice design work. Did you do it yourself?
I've passed on your details to my man up the road and he's going to pop by at some point.
Nice one, what's his name?

Yes, I did the design myself. I really like the modern trend to brighter colours and bold fonts. I've always liked the grungey style and used it a lot over the years on web designs etc etc.

I think they should stand out on shelves ok. There's a local bar now stocking 4 of my beers and they're selling very well. Lot's of great comments too, which is nice. Best is that they're being tried by folks who wouldn't normally have a beer, because the bottles caught their eye. Apparently quite a few of them have then bought a few bottles to take home.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 pm

They look amazing steve. How are you bottling them exactly?

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Looking good :)

stevetk189

Post by stevetk189 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Bottling regime is simply.

Primary ferment 19-20C

2 day diacetyl rest 21-22C

Secondary 2 days in the cool if not dry hopped otherwise 4 days with dry hops kept at 19C then cooled for two days (Dry hopping warm seems to bring out more aroma, quicker - then get the beer off those hops before the grassiness kicks in)

Rack off 25l into 30l bottling buckets (I'm a wimp and can only lift 25 litres high enough) with priming sugar solution.

Bottle.

Cap.

Into Bottle warming cabinet at 24C for 4 to 7 days.

Into granite, vaulted cellar (10 to 12C) for a week or two or whatever longer after that. I tend to bring up stock for labelling around the 14 day mark, most of the above beers are quite drinkable by then. The rest stays in the cellar until there's room in the "shop" bit and then more are brought up and labelled. Cellar is too dank to have labelled beers down there.

Bottles are starsan'd using a couple of vinoferminator things and uprighted on bottle trees for a couple of hours before filling. Next to no foam left in bottles at time of filling.

At this point it's all unfiltered, bottle conditioned. I may look more into filtering and force carbonating BUT I honestly think I prefer bottle conditioned. Nicer carbonation.

Serious note at this point is hand bottling and labelling is already getting far too time consuming, even at half barrel production. Next investment is a bottling machine and a labelling machine.

Just got a quote from a Chinese brewery builder, 104,000 USD for a 1000l uber awesome rig, full CIP, 6 conicals, cooling plant, all the stuff really. I just need to rob a bank first.