device to suspend a funnel/strainer over a fermenting bin

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

device to suspend a funnel/strainer over a fermenting bin

Post by lord groan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 pm

As I recently had this problem I thought I'd post my solution. I had been using SWMBO to hold the funnel/strainer combo over the fermenting bin while I siphoned into it and getting tired of her sarcastic comments I began thinking there must be an easier way, mulled over various mental construction projects and dismissed them all on the grounds I couldn't cleanse/sterilise any simple frame that I built.
Then the moment of revelation came when emptying the dishwasher - Ikea sell a food-safe white plastic chopping board, turns out it is wider than a standard fermenting bin, so it sits across the top beautifully, it can be drilled/jigsawed easily to make a nice big hole just the right size to hold a funnel, is pretty strong, easy to clean and only costs £1.
Bingo!
Hopefully this will be of some use to someone!

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: device to suspend a funnel/strainer over a fermenting bi

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:44 pm

You might even be able to bend a re-purposed metal clothing hanger. Wrap it around your funnel/strainer than over the edges of your bin, hooking the handles if possible...

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Re: device to suspend a funnel/strainer over a fermenting bi

Post by TC2642 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Something to look into for the future but I use the 25ltr wine FV's with a narrower head to them, one of those large kitchen funnels and the usual wire mesh colender type things and it's a one man job.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA