can anyone identify a big white plastic bottle thingy

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

can anyone identify a big white plastic bottle thingy

Post by lord groan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi can anyone help?

I've been on the scrounge for a while now trying to get enough bits to assemble an AG setup, being as tight as I am I'm trying to do it for next to nothing. I've recently seen 2 white plastic containers in a builders skip in the car park of an old pub being converted to a tesco-express. Unfortunately the skip is behind a security fence and theres been no-one around over xmas/new year. I don't want to waste time chasing them if they'll definitely be no use but if anyone can make an educated guess i'd be grateful.

Really sorry but I cannot get a picture to post. They are white plastic cylinders about 30-40cm in diameter and maybe 70-90cm long. A hole drilled at the top of one shows the plastic is about 3-5mm thick. Domed at both ends like a pressure vessel of some sort would be, they sit upright on plastic collars and the one I can see most of has a fist sized chunky red screw cap with what looks like a side valve of some sort.
Does anyone know what these are? I'm thinking if made of HDPE or PP they'd convert to HLT's or boilers very nicely, but I cannot get close enough to see them properly (yet).
I thought they might be corny equivalents, or cellar gas tanks, or something like that but endless googling for likely descriptions has brought up nothing remotely similar. I know what plastic beer kegs look like and they aren't those.
Does the description ring any bells with anyone?
Thanks
lg

masterosouffle

Re: can anyone identify a big white plastic bottle thingy

Post by masterosouffle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Only tthing that I can think they are is line cleaning kegs, no idea if thay'll be any use though I'm afraid

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:51 pm

masterosouffle wrote:Only thing that I can think they are is line cleaning kegs, no idea if thay'll be any use though I'm afraid
+1

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks Masterosouffle and Tangoman I was sure someone could come up with the answer. Now Google is my friend and is suddenly willing to help when I use the correct search term! They look very like these....... http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... 21KS.shtml

So excellent for size, just need to find out what they're made of, don't like the look of the operating temperature range mind you, hopefully thats related to the pressure not the plastic

Thanks for the help!
Cheers
lg

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am

breaking new ground with plastic boiler vessels is a brave endeavour.. especially when they have round bottoms..

perhaps see if anyone is interested in them for their intended use in the forsale section first, or ebay? may even boost your budget :)

If HDPE dont do it, my boiler is hdpe but its got a flat bottom. hdpe softens above 80 something C at boiling temps its soft enough to settle on its seat and deform the round of the mouth into a distinct oval. i wouldnt be within 10ft of your first test boil :)

good luck
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

lord groan

Post by lord groan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 am

Good point Fil, thanks for the warning/reminder, like I say I don't have them yet, but I am driving past the site on a daily basis waiting for the builders to return. If I am lucky enough to get them I'll check them over carefully before deciding what to do, I was thinking about a bottom tap - but you're quite right it'll need really good support underneath so maybe not. Whatever I do, if I boil in one I'll be standing well back until I'm sure it's safe.
Thanks
lg