Qmax cutters on thermopot

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
zipfly
Steady Drinker

Qmax cutters on thermopot

Post by zipfly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi, I have a 50l thermopot looking to convert to a BIAB mash/boil pot, and was wondering if it's ok to use a qmax to go through both layers of the pot, want to make a tidy job do unsure about using a hole saw for cutting the holes.

Thanks
Dave

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Qmax cutters on thermopot

Post by barneey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:37 pm

You wont beable to use a qmax cutter to go through both pieces at once.

To use a qmax cutter you need access to both sides of the piece of metal you want to cut.

I would recommend a TCT hole saw for the job.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 pm

zipfly wrote:Hi, I have a 50l thermopot looking to convert to a BIAB mash/boil pot, and was wondering if it's ok to use a qmax to go through both layers of the pot, want to make a tidy job do unsure about using a hole saw for cutting the holes.

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave, having just used a qmax on a thermopot tun build , No dont use one on both skins at once, they cut thru exerting a lot of force, enough in my opinion to collaps the foam insulation between the skins, so i think it would make a mess of your pot before it started to cut properly. (i dinged thru the insulation -felt it give a tad- drilling an initial pilot investigation hole pressing down with a thin drill bit, not that hard on the base... its not structural..)

I went from below and used an angle grinder, but Belter used a holesaw in his tun build.. made a very neat job too... get the correct tool, and drill slowly with good controlled pressure, (not all your body weight if your a fat sod like me..)...

the holesaws i have seen all have quite big pilot drills, I found the SS quite resistive to an initial hole cut even with a small tiny bit it can take minutes but once the skin was punctured enlarging the hole was easy, and a stepper drill just eat its way thru (again drilling as slowly as possible).. so consider drilling a smaller pilot hole for the hole saw pilot to follow..

you may find a stepper drill bit big enough to cut all your holes? depends on your fittings/plans, mine goes upto 22mm diameter, but it may be deeper than the insulation in your pot.. the stepper type drill was invaluable in enlarging my initial pilot holes to the size needed for the qmax thru bolt.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

zipfly
Steady Drinker

Post by zipfly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Ok thanks, not going through the bottom, was aiming for 2 21mm holes in the side, tap & thermowell, and 1 for my heater element. Will get holesaw and start slow.
Many thanks

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

The one pot build sounds interesting, are you suspending the bag above the element or using some sort of guard? im sure pics of your pots n plans would be interesting.. and there is always lots of interest about the elements people choose for their pots :)

my tun was the first time i had attempted to cut/drill SS, and one thing that almost got me was using a dremil type tool with a small sanding drum to open up holes slightly, i started with it on high speed and it had a good appitite for the thin SS skin I almost took way to much off before i realised !! if using similar start with a slow speed ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm

zipfly wrote:Ok thanks, not going through the bottom, was aiming for 2 21mm holes in the side, tap & thermowell, and 1 for my heater element. Will get holesaw and start slow.
Many thanks

I wouldnt mess around with the cheaper ones, but would recommend these http://www.starrett.co.uk/shop/holesaws ... _hole_saw/
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Agreed with above. I use standard starrett hole saws as I get them free but if I were to buy one is go all the way to TCT.