kopparberg bottles any good????

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
operon

kopparberg bottles any good????

Post by operon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Like the title says, does anyone use them for bottling their beer. I can get a load of them and want to know if they can handle the job. I have a bench capper so capping should be ok.

JonoT
Piss Artist

Re: kopparberg bottles any good????

Post by JonoT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi,

I've used some kopparberg bottles. What I like about them is they are slightly shorter and fit into a milk crates and stack. I think my milk crates are for unpasterised milk and slightly taller

JonoT

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 pm

I chucked all mine when I had one explode, I found they were very lightweight compared to magners bottles, for example. YMMV etc.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:55 pm

JonoT wrote:Hi,

I've used some kopparberg bottles. What I like about them is they are slightly shorter and fit into a milk crates and stack. I think my milk crates are for unpasterised milk and slightly taller

JonoT
I use them as well.

I store most of mine in large ex-veggie polystyrene boxes, which take about 14 bottles.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 pm

oz11 wrote:I chucked all mine when I had one explode, I found they were very lightweight compared to magners bottles, for example. YMMV etc.
I had a Magners bottle crack, when I was sanitizing it with boiling water recently. I don't think that they're as strong as they used to be.

Fortunately, I've never had a bottle of any sort explode.

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Never had a problem with them. Only used them when just starting out though.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Fortunately it was contained in a plastic storage box, minute sticky slivers of glass everywhere. A pain to clear up and I chucked a couple of polypins out 'cos they were covered in the stuff. I've never tried boiling water in bottles, are they designed to take it..thermal shock an' all that?

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Surely they HAVE to be as strong as they used to be. They take carbonated cider the same as they always have. Magners will be using them for the same purposes as we will except I imagine with more Vols of CO2.

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:07 pm

A lot of modern bottles ARE different then they used to be..adnams, for example. Lightweight glass for "green" reasons. Very lightweight, not designed to be re used. I wouldn't risk them either, now.

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 pm

if that's the case then fair enough. when does the glass decide it's time to not be as strong anymore?

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Who knows? A slight flaw, hairline crack? The advantage a commercial brewery has with "brewery conditioned" beer is that they can accurately measure how much co2 to add, therefore how much pressure the bottle will need to withstand. A home brewer can estimate to a good extent, but there can always been some residual sugars in the bottle getting slowly fermented producing extra carbonation.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Microscopic hairline scratches caused by general usage, will fatally flaw the glass, then if it's thin enough a bit too much pressure, or a seemingly innocuous bump at the wrong point on the surface will cause it to break. Just watch how glaziers cut sheet glass with a tiny scratch!

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Interesting. Not something I've ever really thought about. There's always a risk of bottle bombs isn't there but I've never had one yet. Always worked out my volumes of CO2 from beersmith. I haven't been able to brew for ages due to my build and getting a kegging system. I have since ditched every single branded bottle and only have a stock of Brown standard bottles now.