Kegs arrived, 30l

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
gnutz2

Kegs arrived, 30l

Post by gnutz2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:58 am

Two 30l kegs were deliverd from crusader yesterday. They're a really professional company and great to deal with.

I've got 50l of pale ale just finished fermenting so hopefully a crash cool, fine with polyclar and I can get on force carbonating and have sediment free bottles.

Cheers Baz.

Belter

Re: Kegs arrived, 30l

Post by Belter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:03 am

How much did they set you back?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 am

They look the biz Baz, did they give you any advice on keeping them clean / filling etc, or is it just spear removal time?

I`m waiting for an email back from them regarding a couple of questions before I buy a 50ltr to try out.

The prices I got were:-
Prices
30L including Micromatic S-type safety spear. £57.50 + VAT.
50L including Micromatic S-type safety spear. £62.50 + VAT. Lead time is 5-7 days.
Delivery is free to UK mainland.

We do supply 20 litre kegs but not from stock so a minimum of 36 units would apply.
EDIT do they have the embossed name on them or just the plaque?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am

I paid the same prices as above.

As far as cleaning goes, i was thinking of removing the spear, swilling some soda crystal solution around then rinsing out and applying some starsan before filling.

I can see 2 ways of filling them, you could remove the spear and syphon the beer in, or, fit the (sankey) keg coupler, purge any oxygen out and syphon into the beer out post.

Clive, its just an embossed plaque spot welded on, if you want the top chime embossed its a special order.

Cheers.

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:28 am

How do you remove the Spears?
Special Tool?
Also can you remove the Sankey Coupler when the Keg is pressurised?

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 pm

I made a socket with 2 slots to unscrew them, one of them pulls straight out, the other one has safety clips but if you insert a 5 pence coin in the top and connect the coupler you can pull them out.

Yes, the keg stays pressurized when the coupler is disconnected

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:30 pm

I love the idea of some of these for a handpull but have nowhere to set one up at the moment. Maybe in the next house.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:49 am

Very nice!

I realise you're using them before bottling, but in many ways I'd like to use them instead of cornies, they look the business to me. Unfortunately I can't get many in the keggerator at once, which was about all that really stopped me.

Good luck with them!

Cheers
Kev
Kev

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I've made a tool that unscrews the spears but also had a centre bearing to press the centre valve to release the safety clips, works a treat :)

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm

ingenious!

Cheers
Kev
Kev

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

Having done a little more research today on the other options I`ve finally taken the plunge and have ordered a 50ltr keg from Crusader :)

Whether I`ll use it direct to serve beer or to condition and fill the remaining corny kegs i`ve yet to decide.

Cheers for the link, only one slight niggle I had to pay by cheque :shock: something I havnt done for years.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Good stuff!

TBH I think I'd prefer to use these rather than cornies, the only thing that really puts me off is fitting them in my keggerator (larder fridges) - I can get six types of beer in a tall fridge with cornies, but I calculate only two or maybe three with these. I'm not sure I'd like to be lifting 50L+keg in and out of a chest freezer, either. That said, I hate using the corny disconnects in the confined space of the fridge anyway, possibly some sort of heavily insulated cooling jacket system or a bespoke insulated box rather than fridges may be an answer to both issues.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Couldnt you link them in with your fermenter cooling project?

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Yes probably - although I'd have to check the cooling capacity vs heat losses. But I invested quite a lot in the cornie's keggerators just last year...

I guess another thing to consider (aside from the space they take up) is the turnover of kegs; curently a 40L batch results in a free corny when I've finished half of it, but a single 50L keg would be tied up until the last pint. Of given the current price of cornies theres no reason why one should be able to afford fewer kegs even if they're much bigger, but the storage space needed could be significantly greater...

Cheers
Kev
Kev

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 pm

What Ive decided this afternoon was to still keep the kegerator with space for 4 usable kegs, I can get 6 in there but that involves a lot of stacking and messing around, so that means I only need 4 corny kegs. I will however get a 9 litre keg to go in the insulation rucksac dispenser system I was given :)

When I come to brew either a 40 or 100ltr batch I will transfer directly into keg (s) mature and then transfer into the cornys as and when required so basically exactly the same as gnuts but using cornys instead of bottling. Still need a way of kepping them cool though.

I have a homemade spanner etc for the spear removal or can use the cask funnel fill method for filling / cleaning the kegs.

I`m also hoping though as another option that a single keg and two cornys might fit in the kegerator?