Kegs arrived, 30l

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Kegs arrived, 30l

Post by barneey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:13 am

](*,) BTW have you had a gas leak on your 30ltr kegs yet? - scrub that, of course you haven`t its not a corny. ](*,) :-$ :-#
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Jaq

Post by Jaq » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:31 am

one for Barneey my new shiney thing

drunkpapaj
Steady Drinker

Post by drunkpapaj » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am

Nice piece of engineering there jaq! Will have to borrow that idea :)

Jaq

Post by Jaq » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:32 am

it is very handy :D :D :D :D

bumblebee
Steady Drinker

Post by bumblebee » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Not wanting to disrupt the idea of spear removal, however, I'm wondering do we really need to remove it at all?
I currently use cornies, but have taken possession of 3 kegs, so my arrangement with cornies has always been, rinse with oxyclean then fresh water, then fill up with bright beer, purge, serve , happy days.

Have I ever needed to get my arm in to clean the cornie out? No, cos there is no real sediment as the beer was kegged bright
Do I ever remove the posts? No cos the oxyclean cleans it all for me, if I'm concerned about the down pipes I just fill the keg up with oxyclean water until it runs out of both tubes

So my plan is , get sankey coupler, remove one way valves on the coupler, fit coupler,gravity feed hot sanitised water into the keg, swill around, turn keg upside down and drain water out. Gravity feed fresh water in, swill round , drain out.
Gravity feed bright beer in , remove coupler, fit new coupler with valves intact and hey presto , good beer

Tried this with clean water and it works a treat, okay, okay, draining of the keg does take an age but balance that against spear removal which is sounding like a PITA, this is the route I think I'm gonna take

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Jaq wrote:one for Barneey my new shiney thing

Look very similar to the one I have ;) but find it easier just to take the spear out. ;) if anyone is in the market to buy one let me know.

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:58 pm

bumblebee wrote:Not wanting to disrupt the idea of spear removal, however, I'm wondering do we really need to remove it at all?
I currently use cornies, but have taken possession of 3 kegs, so my arrangement with cornies has always been, rinse with oxyclean then fresh water, then fill up with bright beer, purge, serve , happy days.

Have I ever needed to get my arm in to clean the cornie out? No, cos there is no real sediment as the beer was kegged bright
Do I ever remove the posts? No cos the oxyclean cleans it all for me, if I'm concerned about the down pipes I just fill the keg up with oxyclean water until it runs out of both tubes

So my plan is , get sankey coupler, remove one way valves on the coupler, fit coupler,gravity feed hot sanitised water into the keg, swill around, turn keg upside down and drain water out. Gravity feed fresh water in, swill round , drain out.
Gravity feed bright beer in , remove coupler, fit new coupler with valves intact and hey presto , good beer

Tried this with clean water and it works a treat, okay, okay, draining of the keg does take an age but balance that against spear removal which is sounding like a PITA, this is the route I think I'm gonna take

This is what I was thinking. Could maybe use CO2 to speed draining etc.

Dean.
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

bumblebee
Steady Drinker

Post by bumblebee » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Yes agreed, but wanting to not waste CO2 I just opted for gravity drain, but yes you could force drain as you say

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 pm

So you gravity drain upside down, with the keg connector connected through the gas in (water out of the gas in)?

bumblebee
Steady Drinker

Post by bumblebee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes exactly

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Have you tried it yet with a traditional keg? Only reason is that on my Sankey coupler the gas in has a very small bore and I can see it taking a while to drain.

bumblebee
Steady Drinker

Post by bumblebee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

I have only done this on a sankey keg and yes does take a while but, yr not filling the keg up yr just swilling it around, alternatively you could attach a steamer to the coupler and do it that way.
However, when I did fill the keg I wasn't in a rush , so to me that aspect is not such a problem

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Just one thing for you guys, if you have a keg with the bastard clip and cant get the spear out you could always just unscrew the spear so that its loose and then turn the keg upside down which should give you faster draining if required?

If by chance you have ended up with a keg with the pushed in security tabs you'll never unscrew it though ;)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Whats the pushed in security tabs Clive?

barneey

Post by barneey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 pm

For fear of giving "Mr Boingy" more ammunition of why he shouldn't join the traditional keg wagon :)

And don't worry, if you buy your keg from a legit source you'll never get one. Basically around the neck rim of the keg as denoted by my red dots, some commercial kegs I`ve seen have an indent tab, meaning you will never unscrew the thing.

If you have a friendly landlord ask to see what kegs he has in the cellar, you`ll learn quite abit :)