Kegs arrived, 30l

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Kegs arrived, 30l

Post by barneey » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:09 pm

gnutz2 wrote:Two 30l kegs were deliverd from crusader yesterday. They're a really professional company and great to deal with.
Yep really professional company, got a load of paperwork through the post today regarding the keg details etc.

BTW gnutz2 are you getting your PM`s at the moment?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm

I`ve just had a conversation with Justin from Crusader Kegs, and mine is being delivered tomorrow :)

Also had a chat about the possibility of stocking 20ltr kegs + have sent him the details of this site.

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Nice one Clive, that would probably suit a lot more people one here.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 pm

These are great! I would like to think(dream!) that I would be using these in the future, much more substantial than Cornies !
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am

Just had the 50ltr keg delivered by Justin, also bought a smaller sized cornelius keg with him :) :mrgreen:

The smallers sized keg was slightly wider but slightly shorter in height than a standard cornelius keg, a slimmer version of the 50ltr keg if you wish, made from 1.5mm stainless, it was certainly a very nice looking keg indeed.

Anyway the new 50ltr keg

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm

One of these clive

How much are they?

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Yep it looks very similar if not the same, a very nice looking keg and quite robust.

As for prices I`ve no idea, but I think Justin will (I hope) be joining JBK in the very near future with an update on sizes / volumes and prices, think he wants to speak with Jim first tho.

ttmooney

Post by ttmooney » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 am

One question: how about cleaning and filling the standard keg? Cornies are easy that way, and I know the brewery plastics guys specifically say that removing the spear also removes the warrantee.

The 19L vs 30L thing isn't a big deal for me, but the ease of cleaning and filling is.

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:26 am

ttmooney wrote:One question: how about cleaning and filling the standard keg? Cornies are easy that way, and I know the brewery plastics guys specifically say that removing the spear also removes the warrantee.

The 19L vs 30L thing isn't a big deal for me, but the ease of cleaning and filling is.
I think brewery plastics are maybe just trying to shy away from the home brewing crowd, buying a keg and not being allowed to remove a spear is just madness, i'm sure the breweries they sell to remove the spears.

Granted the kegs are not as easy to get into than cornies but its not rocket science, basically the spears just unscrew from the kegs but you need to press the centre in at the same time to pull the safety clips in and once the spear is out you can cut off the clips or leave them on. The safety clips were supposedly to stop the spear from shooting out under pressure but i suspect it's more to combat keg theft. You can see the tool i made on the previous page and anyone who is handy at diy could quite easily make a tool for the job, i'm making two more for forum members.

Regarding the cleaning, you cant get you hand in but your only putting bright beer in them, a swill around with your favorite cleaning solution and sanitizer will do the job, i've been doing the same with the plastic kegs with the 2" lids for years with no problems.

I'm sure some people will prefer cornies but it gives home brewers a choice.

HTH Baz.

ttmooney

Post by ttmooney » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 am

Well, I have a 1 BBL commercial brewery, and Brewery Plastics were very clear that once the spear is out, their guarantee is done. Especially considering the liability of pressure with plastic threads.

To be fair, I haven't had much of a look toward 'proper' kegs, but with Keykegs at £14 each (yes, that's right) I am looking at all options again. I also just bought a pallet of Cornies as opposed to Keykegs.

I'll give Crusader a call and see what my options are.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 am

barneey wrote:Yep it looks very similar if not the same, a very nice looking keg and quite robust.
+1 looks much more suitable than cornies in many ways; if you can get them in similarly tall/thin shapes then I'd find that much more convenient.

I seem to recall candirect doing some kegs that looked a little corny-like but I don't know what the valves/threads are and they don't seem particularly any cheaper than new cornies (EDIT yes here - use the 'kegs, tanks, storage' link then the 'kegs for beer and wine...' submenu link) so maybe not such a good call, not sure.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Just received confirmation of my order for 4 x 20ltr slim line kegs today, unfortunately the lead intime at the moment is 8 to 10 weeks so will have to wait a little while for them to arrive.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Good stuff! Pity about the wait but I guess its not that long really.

Was measuring my fridges at the weekend - getting two kegs high in each is not out of the question but its close enough to be 'very' uncertain. If anyone gets chance, I'd be keen to know the dimensions of the kegs and what additional height clearance is needed for the coupling to go on/off.

Cheers
Kev
Kev

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:51 pm

I`ll have a measure of the keg with a "S" type on it for you.

I have read that the americans do have a low profile fitting to fit their style of kegs, I`ve yet to find out if they are available with the "s" style connector.

The only downside of the 50 ltr I have at the moment is its not exactly lightweight when full of beer.

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Kev,

Heres a few pictures, the spacer block used was 10mm, bearing in mind that a hose would add a little to the corny height as well the kegs are as the crusader website 408 dia x 532 high, the fitting adds approx 105mm to the height of the keg. But check the height out with the corny :)