Force Carbination of 50ltr Keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
barney

Force Carbination of 50ltr Keg

Post by barney » Sun May 05, 2013 7:54 pm

I made this tonight to force carb a 50ltr keg. Simple enough really and maybe I should have figured this out sooner. :)

I used a gas disconnect to blank of as I figured that may hold more pressure. Took 30psi easy enough.

Hope it helps someone.!

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Force Carbination of 50ltr Keg

Post by barneey » Sun May 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Here`s mine, I made an all in one effort. Clean keg / replace spear / attach coupler / open red and blue valves fill keg, shut blue & red valves / fill with co2 / purge keg with red valve / final fill with co2. If that makes sence?

No beer showers recently :)

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Ha HA, might have known. :)

Have you got a parts list?

Mine was 10 minutes and stuff from the odds and sods draw. :) I may recondition my other disconnect. :)

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm

To carb mine up I connect the keg up as you would to serve beer, I pressurise it to 30 psi then turn the gas off, give it a shake till the gauge reads about 10-12 psi then have a taste, it's usually carb'd ok but you can repeat as necessary.

I understand its better to force co2 in through the dip tube but I find this isn't necessary.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Its basically a "s" type connector with both the beer and gas one way valves removed, the other parts are from BES (the red tap was from the spares box) but you could use two blue 1/2" baalvalves part number 16835 , 1 x 1/2 tee piece part number 14307, 2 x 1/2 nipple part number 14462 and finally a JG fitting http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/Equipment/Be ... letAdaptor.

Still dont know if I will fill the keg this way or just through the top and then replace the spear (current method), but for gas control / releasing gas it works a treat.

BTW they also do a http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/Equipment/Be ... letAdaptor so if that was fitted to the beer side you could connect the beer line / tap as normal,

Cheers

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Thankyou. :)

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 pm

gnutz2 wrote:To carb mine up I connect the keg up as you would to serve beer, I pressurise it to 30 psi then turn the gas off, give it a shake till the gauge reads about 10-12 psi then have a taste, it's usually carb'd ok but you can repeat as necessary.

I understand its better to force co2 in through the dip tube but I find this isn't necessary.
Thats a good method gnutz, where do you have the pressure gauge?

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:42 pm

barney wrote:
gnutz2 wrote:To carb mine up I connect the keg up as you would to serve beer, I pressurise it to 30 psi then turn the gas off, give it a shake till the gauge reads about 10-12 psi then have a taste, it's usually carb'd ok but you can repeat as necessary.

Thats a good method gnutz, where do you have the pressure gauge?
On the regulator.

Only thing is, you have to unscrew the gas in to purge any air out because of the check valve. You could possibly remove the valve to make purging easier but I like having it there.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 am

barneey wrote:1/2" baalvalves part number 16835 , 1 x 1/2 tee piece part number 14307, 2 x 1/2 nipple part number 14462 and finally a JG fitting
Clive,

I've been looking on ebay at fittings. Can you tell me if the fittings have to be stainless or is it considered best practice when beer is involved?

Also, you used a 2 piece full bore ball valve. Is full bore required for the sanke coulpler or will one piece reduced bore be ok?

Cheers :beer:

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 am

Its my personal preference to use stainless where ever I can, it saves me thinking about using cleaning materials / compatibility with different types of material.

As for the ballvalves, a single reduce bore will do the job , only reason for the two piece was to ease cleaning if necessary + would be faster IF you want to inject beer that way. The red handled ballvalve was something I had laying around so used it rather than selling it on :)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 am

Makes sense :)

I've seen some smaller handled ball valves on ebay that look nice and compact. Obviously offering less control for perging gas. I may buy one to put on the gas side for when I run the keg without gas connected, I know the check valve is there but the ball valves are only 2 quid delivered!

Im planning on fitting 2 lever ball valves to a second coupler for force carbonating, simular to yours. But I will gas via the beer out (check valves removed) and perge via the gas in. Doing away with the T piece. I think this should work [-o<

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 am

barneey wrote: The red handled ballvalve was something I had laying around so used it rather than selling it on :)
Hold the front page :D .
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 am

orlando wrote: Hold the front page :D .
I had noticed Clive makes a regular appearance in the Selling Section! :D

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am

I need my games room back ;)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am

alexlark wrote:
orlando wrote: Hold the front page :D .
I had noticed Clive makes a regular appearance in the Selling Section! :D
JBK's own Exchange & Mart but with better prices. You can pick up nearly new kit for very little :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer