Force Carbination of 50ltr Keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Force Carbination of 50ltr Keg

Post by alexlark » Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 am

Im just starting to get the ball valves and keg couplers together and got a quick question, should I use PTFE on the ball valves?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu May 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Ptfe will produce a good seal, for my gas one though ive just jb welded the thing to ensure no leaks. I will only be using this for purging etc of gas, as its just as easy to fill the keg with the spear out. The beer ballvalve is just ptfe no prevent any beer showers.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu May 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks Clive.

I've only just put my coupler together. I may have to wind some more PTFE on the top ball valve as the coupler threads are shorter and it didn't seem very tight, it was tight - just not 'very'. A pressure test will sort that out.

So... SNAP!

Check valve moved from the 'gas in' to the 'beer out' (between the JG and ball valve, the reduced bore allowed for a snug fit). This will allow me to force carb via the beer out, and purge via the gas in. Job done! 8)

Down2Die

Post by Down2Die » Thu May 23, 2013 7:39 pm

great job but when it comes to transferring to another vessel or drinking from you'll have to change the valves around again, am I correct? setting one up myself thanks

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Cheers. Im planning the same as Clive really. Ive got a second coupler which will be connected in the conventional way, with the check valves in the right places. Im just using the coupler with the ball valves for purging and force carbonating.

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri May 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Yep, I think its the easiest way of doing things to have a dedicated fitting just for the process. Most Keg couplers will either have a JG non return on them or a top hat internal device (non return), so if a single coupler was enployed these would need to be removed / refitted depending on the job required. I`m a firm believer tho that everyone should get a good beer shower as way of inauguration to the keg world.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri May 24, 2013 8:38 pm

barneey wrote:I`m a firm believer tho that everyone should get a good beer shower as way of inauguration to the keg world.
It's definitely going to happen!
Last edited by alexlark on Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Down2Die

Post by Down2Die » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm

aye happened to me already, had the new coupler set up on the gas line with a corny gas connect further down the line. left them both attached at 40psi and it blew my picnic tap off the cornie, 20 litres of beer on the floor and a full bottle of gas wasted, ah the joys of homebrewing #-o

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat May 25, 2013 2:55 pm

alexlark wrote:Thanks Clive.

I've only just put my coupler together. I may have to wind some more PTFE on the top ball valve as the coupler threads are shorter and it didn't seem very tight, it was tight - just not 'very'. A pressure test will sort that out.

So... SNAP!

Check valve moved from the 'gas in' to the 'beer out' (between the JG and ball valve, the reduced bore allowed for a snug fit). This will allow me to force carb via the beer out, and purge via the gas in. Job done! 8)

Just noticed on your picture you havnt used a Tee piece of the gas supply of things, ie you can let gas out but how are you getting gas in? through the beer outlet? If thats the case I hope you have a one way valve on the beer outlet otherwise there isnt anything to stop the beer travelling along the gas pipe if there isnt any pressure.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat May 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Just come up with another solution although again this means bubbling co2 through the beer, one simple ballvalve on the gas side and a one way JG Gas fitting on the beer side, works a treat :)

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sun May 26, 2013 1:05 am

barneey wrote:Just come up with another solution although again this means bubbling co2 through the beer, one simple ballvalve on the gas side and a one way JG Gas fitting on the beer side, works a treat :)
Still getting to grips with this.
how do you work this? is this purely for carbing? i.e. gas line in the beer out carbing though the spear against the ball valve?
then another coupler to serve from?

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun May 26, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Mate, It is easier to use 2 couplers, 1 for carbonation and 1 for serving as it saves changing around fittings.

The job can be done with just 1 coupler if required / if you dont want to buy anoother.

The way couplers work (IMHO) the top outlet is for "beer out" the side inlet is for "gas in". If you just simply connect the coupler to the keg nothing happens, UNTIL you clip "push down" the handle. At this point if the coupler doesnt have anything attached to it AT ALL beer will exit the top and gas will exit the side.

Therefore to serve beer connect the "tap" pipework for the "beer out" so that will control / pour the beer. + connect a gas supply to the side "gas in" . With in the internal workings of the coupler there SHOULD be a a non return device for the gas ie only lets gas in not out and a simple plastic float thing allowing beer out but not to return.

To carb a keg up, you could simply just use the coupler in the normal manner and just add CO2, BUT how would you release and CO2 if you wanted to? as the "gas in" has a one way device on it. Gnutz2 just unscrews the "gas in" JG coupler to release the pressure which is a quick way of doing things albeit there might be quite a bit of pressure behind that JG fitting!!!

So to save time / IMHO the safest way of doing things is to remove the "gas in" one way device and replace that with a "Tee" and ballvalve, add back in the one way device on the newly installed "Tee" piece, by doing this you can then add CO2 and release CO2 via the valve. The top ballvalve is just there to prevent a beer shower, without it you would need to connect a tap etc.

The second way of doing things is to bubble CO2 through the "beer out" port for which you will need a control device to prevent beer going up the gas line ,if the gas line isnt under PRESSURE you will damage the regulator. This can be achieved either with a JG one way fitting or a ballvalve. A ballvalve is then required on the "gas" side to release pressure if required.

So one coupler can be made to do several things if required, but having 2 makes it simple.

A bit of a ramble but hope it makes sence?

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun May 26, 2013 8:43 am

Just one other thing to mention the spear inside the keg works / has the same principle as a corny keg, the bottom of the spear (sits on the bottom of the keg) allows the flow of beer, the gas is injected at the top of the spear / keg. So in much the same way as a corny if you release pressure you dont get a beer shower (unless you have filled the keg rather high :) )

Another point I dont know if its best to carbonate through the gas or beer side? on corny kegs I`ve always used the gas post. So would like to know the pros and cons of doing either.

Cheers

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks barneey, think it all makes sense. looks like i've sourced myself a coupler now, so will need to get trying things, fully expect at least 1 beer shower, maybe 3....

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun May 26, 2013 12:58 pm

:)

The best way is to experiment with some tap water and a lightly pressurized keg to see what happens and when. As always thought dont try and unscrew the spear under pressure.