plastic pins + kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: plastic pins + kegs

Post by barneey » Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 pm

When I`ve enquired about kegs they werent interested in the home market, I believe pins are OK tho.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 pm

barneey wrote:When I`ve enquired about kegs they werent interested in the home market, I believe pins are OK tho.
even with a group buy? How many would you need to get I wonder.

stuey

Post by stuey » Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 am

I'm picking up 3x 9 gall firkins from them tomorrow morning. As long as go for plain brown without colour bands or etching there is no surcharge or set up fees.
Minimum order quantity of 1! :)
9's or pins are priced the same at £27.50 each plus vat and del. They are happy for you to collect from the factory at Droitwich.
If you want colour coding they will charge extra and impose a surcharge for quantities below a certain threshold.
They charge a one off £60 set up fee for etching or printing but I think there is no minimum order?
They also sell shives to fit £20 for 125 (no smaller quantity) and recommend 2 companies for keystones to suit the casks.
Rankins only sell by the 1000. UB plastics will split batches and sell in smaller amounts. About £6 for 125 keystones plus delivery.

No connection other than a happy customer. Both companies (Cypherco/Brewery Plastics and UB PLastics) are really helpful and don't discriminate against small orders.

I have the pricelist for the casks on my laptop which I could PM later if you like.

Cheers,

Stu

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks Stu thats really helpful. I'd like to see the price of pins if you don't mid sending me that list.

stuey

Post by stuey » Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 am

No probs Bob. Will try and conquer the technology today and send it from my phone!
The pins are priced the same as the firkins... think it comes down to productions costs being the same as the firkins? I didn't delve too deeply as to why they were priced the same.
Compared to steel or ally the prices were a pleasant surprise!
Will see what I can do on the price list.
Stu :)

critch

Post by critch » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 am

i have quite a few of them theyre cheap and cheerfull and should last for years with gentle home use.

do not keep them outside theyll bugger up in a year(splits and cracks, they dont like extremes of heat/cold), if you drop em full they break! be careful extracting the shive theyre easy to damage on the shive hole

treat em with care and theyll last quite well

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 am

bob3000 wrote:
barneey wrote:When I`ve enquired about kegs they werent interested in the home market, I believe pins are OK tho.
As mentioned and as the fellow members have confirmed they are willing to sell you PINS, kegs are another matter.

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 am

barneey wrote:
bob3000 wrote:
As mentioned and as the fellow members have confirmed they are willing to sell you PINS, kegs are another matter.
Which is a shame, I had looked (but not made any enquires about) but thought the 20L kegs would have made a perfect replacement for Cornies

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 am

Yep it is a shame, but as soon as you start mentioning about spear (spike) removal etc the shutters go up. 20 litre Stainless Kegs are however available from Crusader Kegs, I`m waiting for mine to arrive.

I dont know with the plastic style kegs if its a simple case of Health and Safety or to do with the material the actual thread is made out of (ie shouldnt be removed all the often)

Quote I got was
We don't supply our kegs for home use as you wouldn't have the equipment required to clean or fill them without taking out the spear which we don't recommend.
There prices for the 20 litre kegs were however fairly cheap compared to stainless, not much in it with the 50 ltr tho.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 am

Seems like honest advice from them in that case; whilst I 'could' probably contrive some method of cleaning etc, personally I'd agree with them that I'd really prefer to ba able to remove the spear

Cheers
Kev
Kev

bob3000

Post by bob3000 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm

critch wrote:i have quite a few of them theyre cheap and cheerfull and should last for years with gentle home use.

do not keep them outside theyll bugger up in a year(splits and cracks, they dont like extremes of heat/cold), if you drop em full they break! be careful extracting the shive theyre easy to damage on the shive hole

treat em with care and theyll last quite well
I would think of putting them in a coal shed that maintains fairly constant cellar temp in spring and autumn. Would this work? how do you use them?