Autoclave/Pressure cooker

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Belter

Re: Autoclave/Pressure cooker

Post by Belter » Sat May 18, 2013 10:56 am

I'm also on my phone am I talking to you from the future?

:P

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sat May 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Couldn't see you were from cornwall on tapatalk :mrgreen:

Anyway - happy hunting for a pressure cooker

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 am

Managed to pick this little beauty up from the Carboot this morning. £6 :)

Yeast ranching is a go

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Sun May 26, 2013 10:38 am

Excellent! Good luck

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun May 26, 2013 11:27 am

Cheers! Holds pressure and is big enough for quite a bit. I've had a few rethinks after your advice above and watching videos on youtube about heating starters, equipment etc. Thanks for your help and advice mate.

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun May 26, 2013 6:19 pm

As mentioned on my other thread the Pressure cooker needs to reach 15psi to autoclave. My pressure cooker will on reach 11.6psi.

Can I do it for longer... some sources say it isn't a case of just doing it for longer. Therefore is this not fit for purpose or perfectly serviceable?

Gregorach seems to think it will still be better than boiling alone?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56337&p=591891&hil ... si#p591891

Lars

Post by Lars » Sun May 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Belter wrote:As mentioned on my other thread the Pressure cooker needs to reach 15psi to autoclave. My pressure cooker will on reach 11.6psi.

Can I do it for longer... some sources say it isn't a case of just doing it for longer. Therefore is this not fit for purpose or perfectly serviceable?

Gregorach seems to think it will still be better than boiling alone?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56337&p=591891&hil ... si#p591891
I researched this quite a bit when setting myself up for yeast ranching and apparently 15psi is the magic number required for autoclaving. That said, I would certainly agree that 11psi is better than just boiling. I ended up paying about €60 in Argos for a prestige, this one I think http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product ... 610351.htm
From what I've read, less than 15psi won't kill spores in the liquid. Storing a small yeast colony like a slant for a long time, you then have to nurse it back to full health by stepping up to starter size with an initially lower gravity wort, if theres any bacteria in there your going to be giving that every opportunity to grow as well. its not quite like making a starter with a vial of healthy yeast where any bacteria has to compete with a huge colony of healthy yeast. It would be a shame to go to all that trouble if your initial sterilisation failed.that said, you may never have a problem

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:53 am

What temperature will you get with with the psi you can reach?

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon May 27, 2013 11:51 am

Matt12398 wrote:What temperature will you get with with the psi you can reach?
117 degrees Celsius

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 pm

I seem to recall from reading yeast (if you havent got it and are attempting this, then stop what you're doing and go and buy it or you're wasting your time) is that a pressure cooker is fine for any amount of slants starts etc that we may do as home brewers, sterilisation is a case of set heat pressure for a given time, it does give you the times in the book for a set temperature. I'll see if i can find it, but it is there i'm certain

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Mon May 27, 2013 6:08 pm

The times from yeast are 15 mins at 121c or 3 mins at 134c. You dont need the yeast book, alhough a good read. Wolfy's thread is great with some good links. He use to syerilise without a pressure cooker and while 15psi is supposedly best, on a small scale you will have success with the cooker you have. You may as well have a go with what you have and keep a look out in free ads or iher car boot sales and spend the 45 quid for a new one on getting vials etc

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Each to their own of course, but the men started white labs. To not have their book which pretty much sums up every and all questions/problems you may encounter for the full process seems like madness. (considering if you bugger it up, it'll cost you a bit more than the £8 the book cost). Wolfies thread is pretty epic, but its one of the few thorough (and very accurate/good) threads on the subject.

Goulders
Under the Table

Post by Goulders » Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Not doubting what you say darkonnis; I have the book. But wolfie's thread as you say is 'epic'. I think there is a link to some guy who has his own lab and sets out what you need etc.

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon May 27, 2013 8:12 pm

I have yeast and have read it. I'll get it back from my bro and have a re-read

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 pm