Tesco Value Kettle no longer available?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
staplefordbill

Tesco Value Kettle no longer available?

Post by staplefordbill » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Went to 3 Tesco stores to buy a replacement £6 Value kettle and they seem to have stopped selling it. Online it's showing as unavailable too - http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-jk12- ... d=379-3813. Annoying as I chucked out my old element and now have a boiler with a gaping hole.

I read on another forum that the Argos cheapo kettle is compatible, in that it too has a 38mm hole for the element and can be adapted in a similar way to the Tesco kettle. Can anyone confirm this? I'm guessing it's this kettle - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 016710.htm

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Tesco Value Kettle no longer available?

Post by john luc » Thu May 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Yes I can confirm that the Argus has a element inside and fits a 38mm hole. I just bought one to use the element,2.2Kw in HERMS pot.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

staplefordbill

Post by staplefordbill » Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Fantastic. Thanks John.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Have you looked at the Haden elements? Supposedly better as they are larger so easier to clean and less likely to burn. They are about £18+ p&p though. I think, but am not sure, they are the same size hole

I went with a tesco element too and it's done me well so far

john luc

Post by john luc » Thu May 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I have a haden element and yes it fits a 38mm hole but the one I have keeps tripping the power. Someone else I know had the same issue and know swears that the Argus/Tesco element is actually better.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:07 am

I use the Argos ones , no problems and cheaper (£5)
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

jonnyt

Post by jonnyt » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 am

I've had the Tesco and Argos ones and they are fine. Absolute bugger to clean as they attract material being stuck during the boil.
I've since moved to an Haden and it's much much much better. Hardly requires cleaning as the heat is less concentrated and the hops don't get stuck between the rings.
Also easier and more secure to fit and remove using a steel backnut rather than the piddly three little screws.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

I would say that if you have a haden element that is tripping out, then it is faulty somewhere - maybe corrosion or damp inside it. I've been using haden ones for ages and never had one trip, and yes much easier to clean.

[ jonnyt ] - where do you get a steel backnut that fits the wacky thread on the hadens ?

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi,

I got a brand new tesco value kettle I don't want you can have it for the postage cost around £5.

I got my locknuts from eBay. Search km8 and that will find you the m40 locknut for the haden elements

oakwell

Post by oakwell » Fri May 24, 2013 12:27 pm

i ordered a couple of the 2.4kW haden elements (14062) from backer last week and was told that they won't be available for 6-8 weeks due to a production issue. i think the 2.7kW elements may be available though. the KM8 locknuts were available on ebay last time i looked and in either chrome plated steel or stainless steel.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks guys - just what I need, never been that happy using the hard plastic threaded rings.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:09 pm

oakwell wrote:i ordered a couple of the 2.4kW haden elements (14062) from backer last week and was told that they won't be available for 6-8 weeks due to a production issue. i think the 2.7kW elements may be available though. the KM8 locknuts were available on ebay last time i looked and in either chrome plated steel or stainless steel.
Perhaps thats behind the failures people have been experiencing... they had a very good reputation before that.

BTW, the 2.7kw elements take the old stule round plugs - they work very well but the plugs are harder to find and more expensive then the more modern IEC style that the 2.4kw ones use.

Cheers
kev
Kev

staplefordbill

Post by staplefordbill » Tue May 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks for the offer jonot but I got an Argos kettle in the end.

The Argos element and fittings are not just compatible with the Tesco ones - they're exactly the same.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 am

I have used tesco and haden elements, I find that if you haven't cleaned them properly they will trip out.
I just boil them with a bit of oxy in. Comes out sparkling everytime.

john luc

Post by john luc » Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 pm

An electrical engineer guy I know told me that if you have damp in the haden element it will keep tripping the ELCP unit. He suggested disconnecting the earth wire temporally and to plug it in just long enough to allow it to heat up and dry out the element. :o . Oh and then don't forget to re-connect the earth when its done. :wink: