Wine cooler for cooling cornies?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chastuck
Hollow Legs

Wine cooler for cooling cornies?

Post by chastuck » Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Anyone had experience of using a wine cooler for cooling cornies? I have very limited space in my kitchen to store a cornie and associated 'kegerator' equipment, so was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Bottle-Win ... 3381f832b4
At Height = 87cm Width = 29cm Depth = 57cm, it would just about fit under a kitchen worktop and allow a Cornie to be placed inside (possibly 2 one behind the other). Temperature range is given as 5 deg C to 18 deg C, so it should keep a low temperature. Obviously holes would need to be drilled through the sides for gas and beer pipes.

alexlark
Under the Table

Re: Wine cooler for cooling cornies?

Post by alexlark » Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 am

I was looking at these at one time, the only thing that put me off was that I read a lot of reviews that they can be a bit noisy and they didn't go as cold as expected. In the end I bought a large under counter Hotpoint fridge in silver off ebay for £45.

I do like the look of the wine coolers though, you seem to get more for your money than the husky style fridges.

This place has a lot of them:
http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/l/win ... s/1/29-31/

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Fri May 24, 2013 12:48 pm

alexlark wrote:I was looking at these at one time, the only thing that put me off was that I read a lot of reviews that they can be a bit noisy and they didn't go as cold as expected. In the end I bought a large under counter Hotpoint fridge in silver off ebay for £45.

I do like the look of the wine coolers though, you seem to get more for your money than the husky style fridges.

This place has a lot of them:
http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/l/win ... s/1/29-31/
Thanks for the tip. I checked with the seller regarding the shelves and internal height of the wine cooler linked above. The shelves do come out, but regrettably the height inside is only 60cm, which rather prevents the storage of a 72cm cornie. I need to find another solution.

smdjoachim

Post by smdjoachim » Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm

I bought one of these that has been fitted into a new kitchen.
Holds 2 cornies with taps on and keeps them at a nice 13 degrees.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lesuire-LWINECM ... 66-2415412

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri May 24, 2013 5:22 pm

while i agree keeping the kegs at a constant temp is the best solution.. its not the only one.. i use a shelf chiller..

our kitchen is 8' sq !! with 2 dorways..... so no room for kegs.. so they are kept in an insulted area and fed thru a shelf chiller to the kitchen taps. 7-8months per year no chilling is needed, when warm it takes circa 30-45 mins to chil the ice bath down to pouring temps..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Fri May 24, 2013 6:48 pm

chastuck wrote:Anyone had experience of using a wine cooler for cooling cornies? I have very limited space in my kitchen to store a cornie and associated 'kegerator' equipment, so was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Bottle-Win ... 3381f832b4
At Height = 87cm Width = 29cm Depth = 57cm, it would just about fit under a kitchen worktop and allow a Cornie to be placed inside (possibly 2 one behind the other). Temperature range is given as 5 deg C to 18 deg C, so it should keep a low temperature. Obviously holes would need to be drilled through the sides for gas and beer pipes.

I think the last time I looked a these I worked out by the time the insulation was taken into account you couldnt actually fit a keg in the thing.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

jaff

Post by jaff » Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 pm

They are also not as reliable as compressor fridges.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:24 pm

What do you mean jaff, surely they use a compressor too?

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 am

At 95 quid surely these fridges are good for fv storing units instead of bodging a fridge together ?

JABB

Post by JABB » Sat May 25, 2013 8:31 am

I use a wine fridge with great success. ( See my other posts for pics )
They hold the temp at around 12 deg.
The fan can be noisy but you can always swap it out for a quiet one.