First Boiler for a newbie.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mChavez

First Boiler for a newbie.

Post by mChavez » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 am

Hi!

I have brewed 2 kit batches of beer so far and I am now looking to move on to extract/partial mash.
As far as I understand, I need a boiler and ideally, a wort chiller (but can use an ice bath to begin with).
I'll get myself a boiler first, but I can't decide between the following options:

1) Brupacks 30L electric plastic boiler with built-in strainer. Approx £150.

2) There seem to be plenty of cheap-ish burco electric boilers, 20L and 30L.
What capacity should I go for to brew 5 gallon batches? 30L must be better but it will be taking up more space and is more expensive.
Will my beer lose quality if I use a 20L boiler instead (potentially, having to adjust the amount of hops to match a smaller brew?)?
27-30L come at about £100, while 20L ones are about £60-70.

I would be very grateful for any advice!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: First Boiler for a newbie.

Post by Fil » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 am

imho the brupacks solution is tight on volume, if looking at a burco/buffalo urn go for 40l,

a rolling boil can add inches to the height of the liquid, and a boil over is messy a major pita AND a bloody waste of valuable beer ;)

and while you can boil a few litres in a sausepan or add the extra volume once you have boiled some down, after a few brewdays the avarage extra cost for the bigger boiler is gonna be pennies per pint :)

if your target out is 23-25l to ferment, you could leave 3l or more absorbed in the hop debris and deadspace? after a 90min boil you could have evaporated away 5+l so your start of boil volume will be 30l minimum.....

i went diy, 2 budget kettle elements, some copper/brass plumbing bits, and a 45l mango barrel ;)

the copperkettle online brewshop sell 33 and 67l PP buckets upto the job of making a boiler, and all the bits needed and will even cut the holes for you..

a SS stockpot is way more durable than a plastic bucket, but cutting holes is a bit more of a challenge but totally do-able, my still ongoing upgrade to a bigger volume brewkit is into SS stock pots..

your more likely to want to brew more per batch once you go ag :)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:09 am

Being honest, go bigger. I think that one of the best ways to go is BIAB and thats because you just need the one boiler, no HLT, no MT and a FV to put it in at the end. When you eventually grow out of BIAB (some people never do) your boiler will serve as either boiler, or HLT depending on your 3 vessel needs. If you start small, you will unfortunately be stuck small or have to sell up and buy everything again which is fun but expensive. I'd also add that by going the BIAB route, you can start almost immediately all you need is a bag (also sold at just about every HBS) your boiler, and a filter. Which can only be a good thing :lol:

So really, get a 40L buffalo/burco or as Fil suggests go to the copper kettle and get a 60L PP bucket (depending on your budget). Don't be daunted by the sizes, no one says you have to fill it but as lots of us found out the hard way, some times it's nice to have a bit more space than suddenly find yourself with a full boiler and yet more wort to boil.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 am

darkonnis wrote:....
So really, get a 40L buffalo/burco or as Fil suggests go to the copper kettle and get a 60L PP bucket (depending on your budget). Don't be daunted by the sizes, no one says you have to fill it but as lots of us found out the hard way, some times it's nice to have a bit more space than suddenly find yourself with a full boiler and yet more wort to boil.
+1
I mostly do std 23L batches and typically have around 30L of wort to boil. At break point you can easily have 4 inches +of boiling foam to that. I have a 33l boiler so its tight and I have to watch over it like a hawk. Wish I'd gone for a40l boiler at the start. Planning upgrade to 70l at the moment.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:33 am

For the sort of money you mention, if your OK with basic DIY would buy a stainless steel bergland pot say 50ltrs and fit 1 kettle element + draw off tap.

As an alternative there are homebrew shops / members on here that make pots / advertise on ebay.

I would also update your location details as you may well find another member lives near you and MAY have the tools already to do a conversion.

Have fun
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks guys!

Would a 37L boiler do a good job then?
Alternatively, where can I read about diy conversions?

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 am

There are loads of posts on Jims regarding builds, but for a single skinned pot all you will need is a pot, an element a tap and a filter.

Also read through the qmax guide on Jims for making the holes http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/home_brew_ ... cutter.htm
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:14 am

I would buy a plastic bin from the Copper kettle website 30 litre with holes cut free 1 22mm hole for the tap and one 40mm hole for the element for £16. Buy a tank connector 22mm and ball valve from screwfix about £5 and a plumbing stick for a hop strainer and a 2.4 electric element as in Jonnys video on the Copper kettle homepage website. No work at all just assemble in about 10 mins. Cost about £50. I have the 65 litre one and cannot fault it.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks Fisherman!
I take it using just one 30L or 60L plastic bucket will not let me do a BIAB as the heating element is exposed?
How does a plumbing stick help a hop strainer?

I've got a digital thermostat, so if I tape the thermometer probe to the outside of the bucket wall, would I be able to get reasonable control over the wort temp?

Thanks again for your help!

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:53 am

Nisbetts sometimes have the Buffalo 40L boiler on offer.
See http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Buffalo-Manual ... il.raction currently £89.99 +vat (+ del?)

Thermostat more useful for mash run rather that boiler.
The Buffalo and many other manufacturers include a simmerstat to control boil vigour by switching off element every few secs.

To protect BIAB bag from element you can insert a SS stand inside boiler during boil.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:01 pm

+1 for the Buffalo 40l. £105 delivered and with a warranty is hard to beat. By the time you've bought all the bits required and the time taken to do it, there will not be much in it ;)

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Wow! A 40l boiler for £100 does look good, especially when the plastic bin set-up is about £60-70.

Would 40l be ok for all grain when/if I finally get to do it?

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:10 pm

It's great for BIAB so yes :)

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:34 pm

I have the 40 litre Buffalo and use it as an HLT and boiler. Can't fault it. It's the ideal size for 5 gallon batches.

I do intend to just use it as an HLT eventually and build a seperate boiler.

mChavez

Post by mChavez » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks guys!

Ordered the 40L Buffallo while it's still on the discount.

Now need to start thinking about a wort chiller!