Ecofass Kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

Would you be interested in Ecofass Kegs

1. Nope I'm happy with my current cornies and or bottles
26%
2. Yes I am interested
53%
3. These look ace but I'm skint so won't bother
9%
4. I don't even know what day it is
9%
5. I want bigger kegs
3%

Total votes: 34

darkonnis

Re: Ecofass Kegs

Post by darkonnis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:59 pm

I think you'd just tear the bag myself, unless theres a way to leave the gas outlet closed while opening the liquid outlet. You'd get a small bubble followed by a a beer shower.

Though I suppose you just don't fll the bag with beer and then fill the remainder with CO2... risky business! Need some kind of bright tank..... No, No. Her inside would go [censored] bonkers, I'm stopping this train of thought now before I end up with "yet another" tank taking up room in my garage. (6 tank brewery :O HLT:MT:BK:HERMS:FV:BT) Not worth the ear ache!

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:25 am

I not sure I understand the concern with getting covered in beer... :|

The beer outlet goes into the bag, the gas inlet goes outside the bag... You fill and carb through the beer outlet (with the check valve reversed), then remove the coupler and turn the check valve round to serve. At what point could beer come out? :?
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:36 am

well, to fill the bag the gas line has to be open to the air can be forced from the keg. So now, you essentially have a baloon full of beer in a box. Fill that balloon some more to pressurise it with CO2. The little hole that the gas come out of is going to get bits of stretched balloon forced into it by the pressure exerted on the bag. Like anything, if the pressure exceeds its strength, it'll pop and you'll have a keg of knackered beer, a small shower, and a wasted bag.

I myself am not sure how pinto was meaning you'd get a shower when you swapped em over, I do it with cornies and its just a wee dribble due to the post coming straight out and blocking anything that would actually spray out until the post shuts...

I'm hoping its me thats missed something with how you force carb because I just don't see how it can be done.

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:59 am

darkonnis wrote:well, to fill the bag the gas line has to be open to the air can be forced from the keg. So now, you essentially have a baloon full of beer in a box. Fill that balloon some more to pressurise it with CO2. The little hole that the gas come out of is going to get bits of stretched balloon forced into it by the pressure exerted on the bag. Like anything, if the pressure exceeds its strength, it'll pop and you'll have a keg of knackered beer, a small shower, and a wasted bag.

I myself am not sure how pinto was meaning you'd get a shower when you swapped em over, I do it with cornies and its just a wee dribble due to the post coming straight out and blocking anything that would actually spray out until the post shuts...

I'm hoping its me thats missed something with how you force carb because I just don't see how it can be done.
OK, I see what you mean, but it wouldn't be that difficult to solve... just split the gas line and feed it into both parts of the coupler - that way, your bag is at equilibrium.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 am

The valve on the beer out line closes as you remove the coupler in the normal manner. To fill I see no reason why you couldn't have 2 feeds into the beer line. Or swap the coupling. One for beer in and one for gas in. The gas inlet on the coupling head would not be used as that can be at atmospheric pressure or if counter pressure filling could be used to balance the flow of beer in. I have not seen the bags but the plastic bag is supported by the walls of the keg so cannot pop like a balloon. The gas in part is in the head of the bag which is made out of HDPE so you don't have 'stretched balloon' covering the hole. The keg also has a pressure relief valve for safety.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:34 am

I'm sceptical, mostly because I don't see how it'll work. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on how you guys get on and take it from there :D

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:11 pm

I have no doubt that they work, but am guessing for the forced carb method, insert the plastic bag, fill keg, add gas via the beer line, disconnect coupler, shake etc / leave to carbonate (you could leave the gas connected) as long as the bag is big enough to fill the void nothing will go pop (unless you are using lots of PSI`s). Once you have achieve carbonation re connect how they should be used.

Always use a one way valve for the gas.

The biggest problem you might encounter is what happens if you over carbonate your beer, theres no real way of getting the pressure out again, with a corny / traditional its easily doable via the separate valve.

For me I would buy one to use with a beer engine.

Just one question though are the "extra" bits in the test kit available to buy separately as these would also be required as part of the package.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Thats a good point about over carb'd beer clive, you'll struggle to let any pressure out, you could allways turn the keg upside down and give it a shake.

The big advantage i see with these kegs is the ability to serve at very high pressure through a sparkler without carbonating the beer, cask style beer =P~

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Could you re-use the bags?

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Like most things I think they could be cleaned, if you can get beer in them, no reason not to think you couldnt get a cleaning solution in there. Not a goer for all you green scrubby users out there but then again "visually" you could see if it were clean if you took the bag out to do it, although a 30ltr bag moving around could be fun. For the price of the bag I dont know if it would be worth the hassel, but homebrewers are tight :)
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 pm

The test kit comes with the tools you need. But they are available separately I presume. No mention of the tightening tool or cleaning adaptor and guide. I can email about that, but they probably assume anyone getting these kegs would want to evaluate first and get the test kit. But then all you need to add are more kegs and bags.

This is what the test kit contains and I should have mine in a few days so can post up about it.

20L Test Kit available from 10/06/13, consisting of:
1 x 20L Keg
1 x reusable valve (A or S type)
2 x oneway bags 20L
2 x oneway sets 20L (A or S type)
1 x tightening tool
1 x cleaning adapter
1 x user guide £106.00 each kit (free delivery to England, Wales & Scotland)

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm

The other useful bit about these kegs is that they could be used for wine as there is no carbonation added to the product, so perfect for still wine.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:43 pm

As promised here are some pics, taken on an iPhone so not fantastic but they give you an idea. If there's anything you would like to know more about just let me know!

Box contents
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/o ... ntents.jpg[/img]

Keg with 6" ruler for size comparison
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/o ... 20lkeg.jpg[/img]

Bags
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/o ... ssbags.jpg[/img]

Instructions page 1
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/o ... spage1.jpg[/img]

Instructions page 2
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e76/o ... spage2.jpg[/img]

{edit} ...forum hates me, so please feel free to fix the above!

Belter

Post by Belter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 pm

och29 wrote:As promised here are some pics, taken on an iPhone so not fantastic but they give you an idea. If there's anything you would like to know more about just let me know!

Box contents

Keg with 6" ruler for size comparison

Bags

Instructions page 1

Instructions page 2

{edit} ...forum hates me, so please feel free to fix the above!

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Cheers!