Stockpot vs Thermopot Kettle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
oakwell

Re: Stockpot vs Thermopot Kettle

Post by oakwell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:49 pm

after taking account of recessed base and insulation the internal dimensions of the 50l pot are roughly 40cm x 40cm which gives about 50l

Martin G

Post by Martin G » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:01 pm

Don't forget that the internal dimensions will be more like 40cm by 40cm when you account for the 5cm ish base and the 2cm ish thickness of the wall.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Finally finished the 60L thermopot conversion. Here's the pot with sight glass fitted:
I decided to use two equal tees rather than two elbows on the sight glass. This way I can take the plug out of the bottom T to fit a half-inch tap or other connection if I need to. The top T has a plastic blanking plug with an 'O' ring, which makes removal easy for cleaning the sight glass with a thin bottle brush. This came from ebay as here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181170042339? ... 1439.l2649.

The next two photos show a close up of the top and bottom tee fittings.

Here's a view of the inside of the pot:

The thought occurred to me that I may want to use the thermopot as an occasional mash tun, so I asked The Malt Miller to make up a custom false bottom for me at 300mm diameter instead of their usual 396mm that they sell. I might also be able to use this false bottom as a hop strainer. It just slips under the elements nicely as shown here:

Finally, I forgot to say earlier that when I fitted the elements I did not use the plastic ring that Backer supplied with the element. The plastic ring is supposed to fit on the outside of the inner wall (not to be confused with the white silicon ring that goes on the inside of the wall to form a seal). The plastic ring would have prevented earth continuity and thus the safety of the element. What I used in place of the plastic ring was a 40mm copper sealing crush ring - I tightened the stainless steel lock nut up against this on the outside of the inner wall. These came from ebay as here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270720120243? ... 1439.l2649.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Nice find with the washers, I normally make my own as I find the white things supplied can distort quite a bit when tighten them.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 am

Good work Chastuck.

Is the mesh the standard mesh that people tend to use for mash tun false bottoms i.e. 2 mm holes and fairly rigid or is it a finer mesh? I'm trying to think what I do for a hop filter because I also want to do the bottom draining skin fitting.

If I'm honest I wasn't keen on the idea of a skirt on the bottom but yours actually looks really professional.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 am

After reading posts on here Ive seen a couple of comments saying that there are 150 litre thermoboxes available. If this is true does anyone have any further info or photos?

John.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Matt12398 wrote:Good work Chastuck.

Is the mesh the standard mesh that people tend to use for mash tun false bottoms i.e. 2 mm holes and fairly rigid or is it a finer mesh? I'm trying to think what I do for a hop filter because I also want to do the bottom draining skin fitting.

If I'm honest I wasn't keen on the idea of a skirt on the bottom but yours actually looks really professional.
The bottom is not mesh it's 316 perforated SS sheet 1mm thick with 2mm holes. It has a 2cm high rim welded all around the edge of the sheet of same perforated material. It is very rigid and sits square on the bottom of the thermopot.

Regarding the skirt, it is 304 brushed stainless steel 2mm thick.

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Chastuck do you make the stainless skirts yourself? It might just be another solution to the out skin of the keg stacker I`m making :)

Belter

Post by Belter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 pm

The Wanderer wrote:After reading posts on here Ive seen a couple of comments saying that there are 150 litre thermoboxes available. If this is true does anyone have any further info or photos?

John.

Contact MrLard on here. He sells them

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Not 150lt tho?

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 am

Oh I thought he said he did?

mrlard

Post by mrlard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:09 am

I stock 160l :wink:

I have been using them as a plunge pool in this hot weather :lol:

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:37 am

barneey wrote:Chastuck do you make the stainless skirts yourself? It might just be another solution to the out skin of the keg stacker I`m making :)
Unfortunately no. I used a fabricator in Derbyshire called HTF. Cost me £60 plus carriage.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Cheers, but its going to be beyond my budget.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 pm

barneey wrote:Cheers, but its going to be beyond my budget.
Yes- it does seem dear. But believe it or not, other companies wanted much more! It would be great if a forum member could come up with a more reasonable supplier as the cost of the steel itself can't be much more than £15.