Stockpot vs Thermopot Kettle

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Matt12398

Re: Stockpot vs Thermopot Kettle

Post by Matt12398 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:08 pm

chastuck wrote:
Matt12398 wrote:Good work Chastuck.

Is the mesh the standard mesh that people tend to use for mash tun false bottoms i.e. 2 mm holes and fairly rigid or is it a finer mesh? I'm trying to think what I do for a hop filter because I also want to do the bottom draining skin fitting.

If I'm honest I wasn't keen on the idea of a skirt on the bottom but yours actually looks really professional.
The bottom is not mesh it's 316 perforated SS sheet 1mm thick with 2mm holes. It has a 2cm high rim welded all around the edge of the sheet of same perforated material. It is very rigid and sits square on the bottom of the thermopot.

Regarding the skirt, it is 304 brushed stainless steel 2mm thick.
Sorry I didn't mean mesh. That's the perforated same perforated sheet I was thinking of. So the false bottom goes right to the edge but the outer part is solid stainless without perforations?

oakwell

Post by oakwell » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 pm

I think the false bottom has perforations on the both the edge and the disc. the edge and and disc are made from the same material and perhaps welded together.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 am

oakwell wrote:I think the false bottom has perforations on the both the edge and the disc. the edge and and disc are made from the same material and perhaps welded together.
That is correct. In addition the false bottom is 300mm diameter and the inside of the pot is 396mm. This means you tilt the false bottom as you put it in so as to slide it under the elements.