homebrew books

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
alpha

homebrew books

Post by alpha » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:46 pm

Any body know were I can get a copy of the camra guide to home brewing by graham wheeler I had a copy but its gone missing Iv come back to home brewing after a ten year lay off Im intrested in grain brewing.
I have made kits and malt extract brews and various mixes of. What put me off was if the brew wasnt to your liking you had 40 pints of it on your hands.
Im toying with the idea of having another go but Ill only mash a gallon at a time.
I would probably bottle it I love bottled beers.
Anyway back to the original question Im looking for the book mentioned

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:25 pm

Alpha

I own both the Camra guide and the "Brew your own real ale at home" books by Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz... I believe they are both out of print... :(

As you can see http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 94-2087648, they are becoming a bit of a collectors item. I did see one on eBay a while back, that may be your best bet.

In the meantime, I am always available for questions re: the content should you need it... ;)

Reg

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 pm

I've the " home brewing" of Graham Wheeler, that is the book every body must have, it's the bible :P
I've bought it on the CAMRA website with 2 others: IPA and Stout , very good also.

alpha

Post by alpha » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:18 pm

Cheers reg but I wanted to read the book to update myself.Im sure I wouldnt of thrown it out Il keep trying to locate a copy.

Any other books of a similar content you could recomend.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:54 am

alpha, have you tried your local library? I borrowed a copy a while ago, and just kept it out for a few months B) . You might also find other brewing books there, and of course you get them for free!

I would also recommend David Line's Big Book of Brewing; athough some of it is a bit dated now, it's still an excellent introduction and is very comprehensive.

alpha

Post by alpha » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Tried the Libary no joy.
Ill keep looking a copy will turn up eventually.
Cant believe the prices they are asking for second hand copies I wish Id bought 50 copies when it was in print.
Its a better investment than the stock market.

Reg

Post by Reg » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:23 pm

Well Roger Protz, the co-author, still runs http://www.beer-pages.com/ and remains involved in editing the CAMRA good beer guide...

You could drop him a line and tell him it's time to reprint and cream off some gravy. A long shot I know.

alpha

Post by alpha » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:52 pm

Found a copy in Canada its on its way could take up to sixty days to get here but good things are worth waiting for cost me 22 dollars including shipping.
Amazing this internetty aint it.
Its a used copy but thats to be expected anyway give me time to get some gear together and brush up on whats new.

full malty

Post by full malty » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:49 am

QUOTE (alpha @ Sep 2 2005, 08:46 PM) Any body know were I can get a copy of the camra guide to home brewing by graham wheeler I had a copy but its gone missing Iv come back to home brewing after a ten year lay off Im intrested in grain brewing.
I have made kits and malt extract brews and various mixes of. What put me off was if the brew wasnt to your liking you had 40 pints of it on your hands.
Im toying with the idea of having another go but Ill only mash a gallon at a time.
I would probably bottle it I love bottled beers.
Anyway back to the original question Im looking for the book mentioned
Try ebay. I've bought a couple of beer and brewing books using ebay.

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:17 pm

Iv'e 2 others homebrew books that I recomend:

- "Brew Ware" of Karl F. Lutzen
- "How To Brew" of John Palmer

the only problem is that their are in english :bonk

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:37 am

Blimey - I've got those Wheeler/Protz books, infact I was reading one last night :D

£41.95 for the Wheeler book s/h :huh: I'd better start taking more care over my copy then :lol:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:27 pm

I just found the Camra Guide by Graham Wheeler in the local library.

I've read it before, but it's nice to have a refresher!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:04 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Nov 24 2005, 06:56 PM) Brew Your Own British Real Ale at Home by Wheeler is apparently being republished in the spring so people wont have to pay inflated prices for it.

C
Good news, DAB!

Reg

Post by Reg » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:44 am

Mmmm... It's about time.

No doubt there will be around 6 extra pages so we are all tempted to buy it again... :angry:

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Just won Dave Line's Big Book of Brewing on ebay.