Putting an STC1000 or similar in a burco

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Putting an STC1000 or similar in a burco

Post by lord groan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:50 pm

My HLT is small, 18l, it needs refilling twice for a brew, this works ok cos the 1st refill heats up while a mash is on, the 2nd is only a top up and happens while the 1st batch sparge is underway, BUT I'd prefer a bigger HLT.
Anyway I picked up a 40l Parry tea urn cheap and found the simmerstat control is a bit c**p at maintaining a steady temperature so I'd like to get better control and reckon an STC1000 will do very nicely, I am now wondering if I can cut a hole in the bottom skirt of the Parry (these are very similar to Burcos) to fit the controller into it without it causing the electronics or plastic case to overheat. Someone posted a link recently (thanks) and the spec on that one had a max ambient operating temperature of 70c, another I found says 60c.

Has anyone done this? Did it work? Did you have to fit some form of insulation or cooling to protect the STC from the HLT above?
Any thoughts or comments welcome

Ben711200

Re: Putting an STC1000 or similar in a burco

Post by Ben711200 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:28 pm

I as advised against an STC1000 for a boiler or MT in this thread due to the current draw being too high an amperage for it, or at least being on the edge of its capabilities. I was kindly linked to something suitable at the same price sort of price as an STC1000 as well

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 am

Ive chucked a pid and ssr in the bottom of a buffalo,not had a problem yet with excess heat,but mr buffalo
was confused for a while
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:40 am

themadhippy wrote:Ive chucked a pid and ssr in the bottom of a buffalo,not had a problem yet with excess heat,but mr buffalo
was confused for a while
Remember the pics, looked the business, hi tec n shiny too:) and well worth the effort if your prepared to spend a few evenings sussing out what a pid is and does ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:59 am

Pid+SSR=expensive/Complocated sct1000,if you search for "pimp my buffalo"youll find a few piccys,i've had to many landlords to be capable of looking
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks folks,
I was intending to aim at the 30A model rather than the 10A, I may well give this a go then, although its going to be the 1st time in getting my AG kit together that I've gone over my self-imposed £5 limit for any individual piece of kit!. Perhaps a layer of foam on the underside of the boiler base to keep the heat going up rather than radiating down toward the electrics, just need to find a cheap easy source of polycarbonate tube to make a sight glass now!