Angram Hand Pump

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
scotia
Hollow Legs

Re: Angram Hand Pump

Post by scotia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 am

Billb wrote:Nice! Puts my single pump screwed to a shelf in the garage to shame! (But then again mine serves beer regularly - get brewing :-)
Is this a "three pack" system, or is it three individual pumps?
Bill
Still building the vessels work keeps getting in the way, heading out to a microbrewery in an hour or so so may give the suggestiuon of pulling the beer from hopefully the free samples. :)
Wha's Like Us? Damn Few And They're A' Died!

sweatysock
Piss Artist

Post by sweatysock » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 am

I have a CO 1/2 pint Angram pump. It was also leaking from the seal on the shaft. There is a graphite seal that wears away. Colin Farrar supplied new seal and some other seals for the non return valve at about £3 posted. Pump works a treat now. I would recommend renewing all the soft parts as they are minimal cost. They also do a demand valve. This goes in line with the pump on the supply hose. It will only allow beer to pass when it has a vacuum on the pump side. This will stop the beer from a pressurised KK going straight through the pump. It should therfore work on a corney setup.
Sandy Bottoms Brewery
Drinking:
KK 1: MT
KK 2: MT

Without beer we would be mere machines!

Billb

Post by Billb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks for that. I can find the demand value on the Colin Fararr web site (I think that would be very useful for my system), but I cannot find any of the replacement seals.
Are they on the web site or did you have to speak to them? Could you post a link?
Thanks!
Bill

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:51 pm

scotia wrote:
That's quite some bar, Scotia. =D> Let me guess -- you nicked it from a church?

sweatysock
Piss Artist

Post by sweatysock » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Billb, I gave them a ring. They were very helpful and they were sent out quickly. The demand valve is also available on ebay. I have a KK top tap and the valve helps alot, as it maintains a full supply line, with the barrel under pressure. I had used it before with the barrel unpressurised and it did not pour properly.
Sandy Bottoms Brewery
Drinking:
KK 1: MT
KK 2: MT

Without beer we would be mere machines!

scotia
Hollow Legs

Post by scotia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Hogarth wrote:
scotia wrote:
That's quite some bar, Scotia. =D> Let me guess -- you nicked it from a church?

No we dont do these things in Scotland! :wink: A friend was contracted to clear the building ready for converting into flats and he offered it to me as he knew I was building a house, so decided to use it to serve the correct spirit finally managed that 9yrs later.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:45 pm

sweatysock wrote:I have a CO 1/2 pint Angram pump. It was also leaking from the seal on the shaft. There is a graphite seal that wears away. Colin Farrar supplied new seal and some other seals for the non return valve at about £3 posted. Pump works a treat now. I would recommend renewing all the soft parts as they are minimal cost. They also do a demand valve. This goes in line with the pump on the supply hose. It will only allow beer to pass when it has a vacuum on the pump side. This will stop the beer from a pressurised KK going straight through the pump. It should therfore work on a corney setup.
Thanks for suggestion regarding seals.
My beer engine is not pulling as well as it should so I'll bite the bullet and give it a service soon. It has a cooling jacket so hopefully that doesn't complicate things too much.

Mine is fed from corny at ~5psi via demand valve. No leaks.

scotia
Hollow Legs

Post by scotia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Here is a post I did when refurbing my beer engines they all had cooling jackets one which was a crude method using a copper sheet and a bent piece of small bore copper tube.The Angram has a polystyrene jacket which I think is taped in place.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61488

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 pm

seymour wrote:These are almost unheard-of stateside. Would you guys be so kind as to post some pictures of your setups? I'm intrigued.

phill71

Post by phill71 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 am

Right, I finally bit the bullet to sort out my leaky Angram CO pump, which had a persistent drip running down the piston rod, underneath the glass cylinder and was sucking air for the first 1/4 of the pull.

I picked up a seal kit from the very helpful people at Angram North Yorks, which included a 'bottom gland' assembly, which in turn contains the graphite 'O' ring that seals the piston rod, which I suspected was the cause of the leak.

After some much needed reassurance from the chap at Angram I went home and set about stripping and cleaning the cylinder and all associated bits.

It was pretty straight forward (even for me) although I took care to note where each piece went in readiness for re-assembly.

The internals (particullarly the glass cylinder, block ends and large grey 'o' ring seals) were pretty gunky, so the old seals were binned and the cylinder and the block ends given a dam good clean.

I managed (after a bit of persuasion with a screwdriver) to pop the gland seal assembly out and the new one located easily with a reassuring snap!

After cleaning I took care to aline the glass cylinder correctly, ensuring that both ends were properly seated on the 'o' ring before nipping up the bolts on the bottom 'block end' (apologies...don't know it's proper name) before finally fitting the new, pristine white polystyrene jacket and sliding it all back into place.

I am now delighted to report that there is no leak whatsoever and also there is no air being sucked in, which results in beer (or water in the test) being drawn, right from the moment the handle is pulled...a very satisfying 1/2 pint pull (and it takes some pulling too :D )

I'm certainly no expert now, but I do feel more familiar with the internals of the Angram CO pump, and would encourage anyone fretting about tackling a leak to grasp the nettle and get stuck in. The results in my case have been truly worth the effort and I can't wait for the postie to bring me a sparkler so I can draw some dark mild that is sitting in a cornie as we speak! :D

Phill

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Well done and thanks Phill, this has made me feel easier about stripping mine down. It doesn't leak but I don't get a full pull and am not convinced that's all due to CO2 coming out of solution.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

phill71

Post by phill71 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Eric wrote:Well done and thanks Phill, this has made me feel easier about stripping mine down. It doesn't leak but I don't get a full pull and am not convinced that's all due to CO2 coming out of solution.
Cheers Eric,

I've been testing my set up using a lager which I've had in a corny in a fridge for ages. I was never gonna drink it as I made it before I got my head around water treatment and it tasted a bit crap.

It was however force carbonated and it was very gassy, which resulted in serious fopping, nowhere near the half pint pull and basically just a pint of head.

I pulled about 20 pints of 'head' off and ditched them into a spare corny to settle out.

When it settled down I switched over to the spare and begin drawing...and I got a superb creamy pint, also getting the full 1/2 pint from each draw.

So I conclude that excessive amounts of co2 in the beer will defo effect the delivery and amount of actual beer being drawn, but once knocked out, the beer pours proper 'pub style' :D

Now I just want to know what is a safe carbonation level, and will transfering straight from fermenter be OK, as it will still have a healthy level of natural carbonation from fermentation?

Billb

Post by Billb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Great news that you got it all sorted Phill. Thanks for the update.

I'm going to have to think about what I need to do to mine now. It's OK, but I am sure there is room for improvement!

Bill.

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:14 am

I have a couple of questions re Angram CQ, 1/4 pint handpumps with water jacket. I've tried a search on this site but nothing showed up.

They require seal kits to be installed.

1. Can anyone direct me to some links or photos of these in a "pulled down state"? I'd like to know what I'm dealing with, before dismantling them.

2. Is Colin Farrar Brewery services the best place to obtain seal kits/parts from?

Cheers

scotia
Hollow Legs

Post by scotia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 am

Spares here http://www.angramltd.com/products/hand-pumps/ they do not list every part so an email may be worth while

strip down viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61488