Angram Hand Pump

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
phill71

Angram Hand Pump

Post by phill71 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Picked up 2 Angram Beer Pumps today and whilst one of them is newer and working perfectly (tested with sterilising solution filled corny keg) the other older one only starts drawing liquid at the midway point of the pull and has a leak coming from the piston arm underneath. Does anyone know where I could get it serviced fairly cheaply. I'm in Manchester but would be willing to travel with it, within reason.

Phill

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Angram Hand Pump

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Great find, and best of luck getting it repaired.

If you don't mind, how much are those selling for over there?

phill71

Post by phill71 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 pm

I picked up two from a pub undergoing a refurb and paid £50 for the pair

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 pm

phill71 wrote:I picked up two from a pub undergoing a refurb and paid £50 for the pair
Wow, score!

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Took mine apart to clean a few weeks back, was easier than I thought, only had one washer over at the end. Didn't need any spares but someone on the other forum recommended these suppliers.

Billb

Post by Billb » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 am

Bargain, I paid £70 for mine (and I was very happy with that price - best thing I've ever bought!)

As Dennis said, they are dead easy to take apart - I'd recommend you strip it down and clean it and put it all back together and see if that improves things first (if you haven't already tried that of course).

phill71

Post by phill71 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 am

Cheers Bill

I've just checked out your pump cleaning blog, and it does seem straightforward...thanks.

My leaky pump is a different makel though, being an Angram CO type pump, with a cylinder which is enclosed by a polystyrene jacket?

I'll be having a crack at stripping and cleaning it tonight, as I reckon it probably needs new seals inside the piston somewhere.

I'm glad you're enjoying your pump. What are you using to draw your beer from? I've got 4 cornies and plan to use these.

Phill

critch

Post by critch » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 am

go with dennis's suggestion of colin farrer, very helpful people, normally have all the rebuild kits in stock

Billb

Post by Billb » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 am

Hi Phill,

I'd completely forgotten that I'd written that blog post! :-) (http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ngine.html in case anyone else is interested).

I put my beer into King Kegs, and draw from those using a length of 1/4 in pipe. (Photo here: http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ation.html) I keep the King Kegs sealed, and inject a little CO2 into the top as required to avoid a negative pressure over the beer. Works very nicely. You just have to try to keep the pressure over the beer as close to atmospheric as you can manage (a little CO2 often) - if the pressure gets too high it forces itself out through the beer engine and you get a self-pulling pint!

I've even had mates bring round their own beer in 2 litre pop bottles from their kegs and drawn that through the beer engine. That works an absolute treat - livens up the beer and creates a head just as if it had come straight from the keg.

Good luck with cleaning. Let us know how you get on.

Bill

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:05 am

Billb wrote:Hi Phill,

I'd completely forgotten that I'd written that blog post! :-) (http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ngine.html in case anyone else is interested).

I put my beer into King Kegs, and draw from those using a length of 1/4 in pipe. (Photo here: http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ation.html) I keep the King Kegs sealed, and inject a little CO2 into the top as required to avoid a negative pressure over the beer. Works very nicely. You just have to try to keep the pressure over the beer as close to atmospheric as you can manage (a little CO2 often) - if the pressure gets too high it forces itself out through the beer engine and you get a self-pulling pint!

I've even had mates bring round their own beer in 2 litre pop bottles from their kegs and drawn that through the beer engine. That works an absolute treat - livens up the beer and creates a head just as if it had come straight from the keg.

Good luck with cleaning. Let us know how you get on.

Bill
Just to concur. I'm sat with a quarter inch head on the last half inch of a pint pulled maybe an hour since, a beer that would otherwise look sad in a fraction of that time. The feel of the beer is just so much better, it justifies all necessary efforts to get a pump going. Currently mine's to a top tap KK with drum tap with pipes to suit.

If you have on tap beers of sheer ecstacy, it will be harder to interupt service to make any changes.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

seymour

Post by seymour » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:38 am

These are almost unheard-of stateside. Would you guys be so kind as to post some pictures of your setups? I'm intrigued.

Billb

Post by Billb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 am

On my recent visit to the States I think I saw one hand pump. That was in the Sam Adams brewery tasting room in Boston. If you look at my photo of the tasting room in this post http://cheshirepeaks.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... tours.html you can just about see it on the left of the bar. I asked the tour guide what they use it for, and to be honest from his reply I don't really think he knew! It certainly wasn't in use when I was there.

Seymour, have a look at the photos in my posts (links above) to see my set up.

Eric you are right, there is just something about the way the sparkler "creams" the beer that cannot be achieved any other way. When I first got my beer engine it amazed me that I could replicate that effect at home - I thought creamy hand pulled beer was only for pubs until then.

Bill.

scotia
Hollow Legs

Post by scotia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 am

seymour wrote:These are almost unheard-of stateside. Would you guys be so kind as to post some pictures of your setups? I'm intrigued.
Three pumps picked up on fleabay for £42 and £100 in parts to refurb from CF,I have not pulled any beer through them yet come to think of it I have not made my first brew yet... :(

Wha's Like Us? Damn Few And They're A' Died!

Billb

Post by Billb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:44 am

Nice! Puts my single pump screwed to a shelf in the garage to shame! (But then again mine serves beer regularly - get brewing :-)
Is this a "three pack" system, or is it three individual pumps?
Bill

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:50 am

seymour wrote:These are almost unheard-of stateside. Would you guys be so kind as to post some pictures of your setups? I'm intrigued.
Just one Angram beer engine. Beer for Angram and Becks pumps comes from a kegerator.
Since pic taken I've added an Aspall cider font.