Pushfit or JG?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
bigdave

Pushfit or JG?

Post by bigdave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:19 am

I fitted an outside tap a few months ago using one of those cheap tap fitting kits & it's useless!! I'm going to replace the piping with proper stuff today but due to the space & number of bends I don't think I could get copper in there so am looking at plastic. Is there much difference between the "pushfit" pipe and fittings and the John Guest "speed fit" equivalent?

Belter

Re: Pushfit or JG?

Post by Belter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:23 am

JG is easily removable. But why would you want to. Pushfit is very easy to use. Make sure you buy the inserts for your pipe. I used pushfit. It was very easy.

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:31 am

Cheers. Can you cut the plastic piping with a traditional pipe cutter? And will the pushfit connectors work ok on the old copper pipes I'm taking a feed from?

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 am

I used pushfit once and it started leaking in my bathroom couldn't work out why Replaced it all with JG and never had any problems with it. Since then only used JG and used the inserts and never had any problems. The JG fittings fit straight onto copper pipe, and copper compression fittings fit onto JG pipe as long as you used the inserts. I use a special plastic pipe cutter. A copper pipe cutter will not cut plastic pipe.

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:31 am

Yeah they will go onto copper pipe. Clean the end up with a bit of emery to avoid copper slicing the oring. I used a copper pipe cutter to score a straight line in the pipe and then used a Stanley on the line. On one cut I used the copper cutter to score deep and snapped it. I connected into an existing push fit fitting as well and their cut was diagonal. Still sealed as they go in a long way. I have super high pressure water supply as well.

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:57 pm

All done and leak free! Anyone wanna buy 23m of plastic pipe? lol

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

How much do you want for the pipe? I might be needing some soon! :D
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

Belter

Post by Belter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:23 pm

I need approx 10m of plastic pipe

bigdave

Post by bigdave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:33 pm

I think about a tenner but by the time you add postage it'd be cheaper to go to tool station n buy a new one.