Crates?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
screwybrewy

Crates?

Post by screwybrewy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi folks. Anyone know where to get hold of bottle crates to fit standard bottles like you get from the local brew shop? Either that or simple plans to make my own cheaply? Cheers.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Crates?

Post by lord groan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:09 pm

I looked for but never found free/cheap stackable bottle crates. Milk crates are great but are too short to stack with 500ml/pint bottles in. I ended up reworking other peoples drawings for homemade wooden crates, I eventually ended up with a crate that takes 12 bottles and is tall enough to take wine bottles and still stack. If built with care they interlock when stacked, the base of one sits inside the ends of the uprights on the one below it. As for cheap, I designed mine to use broken up pallets which I get free from a unit on a local industrial estate. The tricky bit is breaking them down and denailing without splitting the lengths of wood. The drawing below uses 120cm lengths from standard pallets

Forgive the rubbish drawings, but hopefully the idea is clear enough, a finished crate is below!
All screwed together and wood glue blobbed between flat surfaces for extra strength
Hope this helps!

Oh and I recently found that the thick card dividers in boxes of "Austins", which stop bottles rattling together, fit perfectly inside these crates. Aldi sell austins - some sort of Pimms substitute I think.

screwybrewy

Post by screwybrewy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:20 am

Hi. That's brilliant, thanks so much. I'm off pallet scrumping. SB.

Ben711200

Post by Ben711200 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 pm

There's always lots of pallets around work.. Idea 'borrowed'!

Cheers,

Ben

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 pm

See my thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58395
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

screwybrewy

Post by screwybrewy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Nice one chaps. As soon as I've liberated a pallet, I'm on to this.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Happy to share my dodgy plans,
If you are going to make these please double check the measurements - they fit my bottles but better safe than sorry.
As for taking pallets apart, they are utter pigs to break up, as quoted elsewhere the nails are designed not to let go, I eventually found that pushing claw hammer prongs between the plank and the corner block and levering the plank up was the best way to go, but it took a 2nd hammer to drive the 1st one in. Mind you if you do split the ends, just use a few extra lengths to get the required pieces. Or maybe just saw the nailed ends off and save yourself the grief?
As you can see from mine - they aren't pretty, very rough and ready but they work, and for a womble like me recycling scrap timber into something useful makes it worthwhile
cheers

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:19 am

http://youtu.be/ZtPmUZ-k3aI

just found this and it works a treat

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks for the link to the crate plans Dean, had myself a creative afternoon,

Just another 3 to build and varnish/stain.
Grainfather conical standard bitter
Corny Keg 1 - Silver still spirits tonic water
Corny Keg 2 - Purple empty
Corny Keg 3 - Copper low % ale
Demi Johns

cellone

Post by cellone » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:13 pm

bryanferry wrote:Thanks for the link to the crate plans Dean, had myself a creative afternoon,

Just another 3 to build and varnish/stain.
I want to see some hand holes cut into them and more work on making them inter-lock before they're finished.

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:18 pm

You're a hard task master Cellone. Not sure on how best to do the interlocking. However I might do some handholes on the short ends if I can ever find my hole saw set.
Demi Johns

Goosey
Piss Artist

Post by Goosey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:45 pm

If you extend the legs like this...

wouldn't they slot into the gap at the top? :)

Same the other end of course.

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:37 am

Cheers Goosey, that would have been the easiest way to let it interlock but I've already cut the 12 sections out and screwed 8 ends together.... #-o

Now all three are built and to save adding extra wood I think I'll go with some metal dowel pins (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dowel-Pins-Ha ... 1173277866). It'll mean drilling a hole in the top and bottom of each corner and then slot the pin in when I need to stack them up. I'll just take the pins out when taking a crate on a road trip.
Demi Johns

cellone

Post by cellone » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm

bryanferry wrote:You're a hard task master Cellone. Not sure on how best to do the interlocking. However I might do some handholes on the short ends if I can ever find my hole saw set.
Borrow Ditch's jigsaw.

bryanferry
Piss Artist

Post by bryanferry » Sun May 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Finally got round to adding hand holes and blackboard paint. Very happy with the way these turned out. Used hard wax oil to seal the insides (in case of bottle bombs). Thank you to lord groan and dean_wales for the plans.
Demi Johns