Cornie kegs V's king kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
tribs

Post by tribs » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:46 pm

RoadRunner,

See above.

Norm's now charging £35 exc delivery but he's now including line and tap.

tribs

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:56 pm

Blimey, I got in just in time. Norm's prices seem to be increasing day by day.

He did give me a big roll of beer line with my purchase too. But no taps.

I bought the same taps as Norm sells for £10 each.

noby

Post by noby » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:03 pm

Er, excuse my ignorance, but who's Norm?

tribs

Post by tribs » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:09 pm

Norm has supplied cornies to quite a few of the members of this forum.

bod

Post by bod » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:54 pm

if anyones interested in duty and vat rates for importing stuff, i used to be a customs officer.... maybe i should have kept that one to myself... but i'll happily keep you right on any importing proceedures and tips on how not to get ripped of by the likes of fedex and ups, and how to work out the duty rates.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:33 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Apr 5 2006, 07:55 PM) ...The company in question are part of Brewers Discount...

:D

bod

Post by bod » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:14 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Apr 5 2006, 06:55 PM)Cheers bod. Here's one for starters if you dont mind. Am I right in thinking there is a threshold before duty has to be paid ?
there is yes a threshld, and its pitiful. if a consignment comes via the post, and is worth less than £18, purely for the cost of the goods, then no duty or vat is charged. if its value is over this amount then charges are liable, plus a handling fee from royal mail.... swines.
remember, if they come by post its just based on the cost of the goods.

however, if they come by any other means, say a courier like UPS, then the cost of shipping is included the the value of £18 limit. couriers also charge handling fees... double swines.

you can also be sent a "gift" from a "private individual", in which case the cut off value is doubled to £36... arent they generous? and then the same rules apply to postage or shipping costs.

if you send something by post, then you have to put a label on it, decaring the value, what the item is, and wither or not it is an item that was bought (new or second hand), or if its a gift. all postal services arround the world use this system of the sticky label.

duty percentage is charged on the liable value, then vat is calculated on the value, plus the duty. then you pay the handling fee to the post office/courier, for doing the paper work and collecting yet more cash from you for the pleasure of it.

now the only saving grace is that royal mail are crap at their jobs, so its really a 50/50 chance if your parcel is presented to customs to be assesed for duty and vat at all! but if it is, then you just pay the postie or go to your local sorting office. mostly the charges are wrog though, cos the idiot at the other end who sent it, put a higher value down for insurance purposes, which the US postal service tell them to do. so if you can be arsed, you can reclaim the difference, but thats another story. :blink:

life is so much more fun now that all i do is make the sweeties all day. :D

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 pm

I just quickly went through the shipping cost calculator on the above mentioned Keg suppliers Ebay site.

4 Cornies shipped Via UPS 3 day service = $258.66 which = £147.99 excluding duties & taxes.

So that's £36.99 each for un-reconditioned Cornies, without disconnects. Excluding duties & taxes.

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/admin/cata ... e=0&page=1 are selling them reconditioned for £34.

bod

Post by bod » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 am

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Apr 5 2006, 08:45 PM) So can I assume that the package I received from the US, delivered by the postie (with a green customs declaration on) has slipped through the system?

QUOTE life is so much more fun now that all i do is make the sweeties all day.

Can I assume you have either entered into a well deserved retirement or have made a sweet toothed carrer move? :D
yep, sounds like it went through with out being passed for assesment DaaB!

actually i'm only 25. i went into business with my friend, who's family own a confectionary company here in glasgow. they're looking to retire so we took over the company. couldnt stand the customs job anymore, i only took it to clear my student debts and get a mortgage!

bod

Post by bod » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:34 am

:lol: no, but i do make a mean whiskey fudge though!

James

Post by James » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:29 am

QUOTE (bod @ Apr 5 2006, 08:14 PM)
there is yes a threshld, and its pitiful. if a consignment comes via the post, and is worth less than £18, purely for the cost of the goods, then no duty or vat is charged. if its value is over this amount then charges are liable, plus a handling fee from royal mail.... swines.

From memory, I think the handling customs release/handling fee for a royal mail item is about £6-£8, which I think is pretty reasonable, but the Parcel Force release fee is closer to £15.

Work that out.. “sameâ€

noby

Post by noby » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:43 pm

QUOTE (bitter_dave @ Mar 24 2006, 03:21 PM) You should add yourself to the Jim's forumhttp://www.frappr.com/jimsforum#x=-0.11&y=51.51&z=11&t=0

It's funny that so many of us seem to live in the south east, although jim's from t'north! :) I would have expected a homebrewing to be concentrated in the north and midlands, although I'm not sure why I expected that. Southampton seems to be a hot bed of brewing!

Any favourite pubs in brighton?
Just added myself to Jim's map. Another south-easterner, technically.

Is there a link to the map from the main page? I only saw it when reading this thread.

bod

Post by bod » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:08 pm

QUOTE (James @ Apr 7 2006, 06:29 AM) QUOTE (bod @ Apr 5 2006, 08:14 PM)

From memory, I think the handling customs release/handling fee for a royal mail item is about £6-£8, which I think is pretty reasonable, but the Parcel Force release fee is closer to £15.

Work that out.. “sameâ€