Cornie kegs V's king kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PeterESB

Post by PeterESB » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi Dave cheers, could I have it in 25lts and in metric if you have it. What's Gales Best Bitter like 'TASTEY'? I like tasty beer!!! :D

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:27 pm

QUOTE (PeterESB @ Mar 24 2006, 01:09 PM)Hi Dave cheers, could I have it in 25lts and in metric if you have it. What’s Gales Best Bitter like 'TASTEY'? I like tasty beer!!! :D
I'll bung the 25 litre version in the recipe section :)

Gales best is a FANTASTIC beer, and I don't use capitals lightly :D ; I much prefer it to London Pride, but then everyone's tastes differ. I would say it's less bitter than LP, and I would also say it's got a more simple flavour - it has quite a pleasant hoppy flavour, although as i say it isnt that bitter.. I find it hard to describe beers.. wheeler / protz say it is a

'red chestnut coloured beer.. delicate aroma of hops and hints of fruit. Full malt flavour balanced by fruit and a lingering hop finish'. Yum. I'm temped to to go down the http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... s/Brighton and have one now!

PeterESB

Post by PeterESB » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:48 pm

I used to live in Brighton :P , then I moved to Southampton :unsure: , and now I live in sunny B) Bournemouth :lol: :lol: :lol: , where I'll be staying put.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:21 pm

You should add yourself to the Jim's forumhttp://www.frappr.com/jimsforum#x=-0.11&y=51.51&z=11&t=0

It's funny that so many of us seem to live in the south east, although jim's from t'north! :) I would have expected a homebrewing to be concentrated in the north and midlands, although I'm not sure why I expected that. Southampton seems to be a hot bed of brewing!

Any favourite pubs in brighton?

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:25 pm

QUOTE (bitter_dave @ Mar 24 2006, 01:27 PM)
Gales best is a FANTASTIC beer, and I don't use capitals lightly :D ; I much prefer it to London Pride, but then everyone's tastes differ. I would say it's less bitter than LP, and I would also say it's got a more simple flavour - it has quite a pleasant hoppy flavour, although as i say it isnt that bitter.. I find it hard to describe beers.. wheeler / protz say it is a

'red chestnut coloured beer.. delicate aroma of hops and hints of fruit. Full malt flavour balanced by fruit and a lingering hop finish'. Yum. I'm temped to to go down the http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... s/Brighton and have one now!
do you have the recipe for it?

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:37 am

QUOTE (FlippinMental @ Mar 24 2006, 09:25 PM) do you have the recipe for it?
Sure, check out the recipe section :)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:41 am

QUOTE (bitter_dave @ Mar 24 2006, 02:21 PM) You should add yourself to the Jim's forumhttp://www.frappr.com/jimsforum#x=-0.11&y=51.51&z=11&t=0

It's funny that so many of us seem to live in the south east, although jim's from t'north! :) I would have expected a homebrewing to be concentrated in the north and midlands, although I'm not sure why I expected that. Southampton seems to be a hot bed of brewing!

Any favourite pubs in brighton?
To be honest, I'm not that surprised. Up here in the seventies most of my generation were being force-fed ( ;) ) keg beers by the big breweries. It was also the time when so-called "lager" was becoming fashionable.

It wasn't till I went to university in Bradford that I started getting interested in real ale (that was at the ripe old age of 20!). Me and a few mates used to drive around Yorkshire clutching a dog-eared copy of the CAMRA guide, searching for good beer pubs.

Those were the days! :P

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am

Jim and gang about to hit the Yorkshire lanes...

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:04 am

Hey, I recognise that horse!! :D :D :D

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:18 pm

QUOTE (FlippinMental @ Mar 24 2006, 07:47 AM) i have a contact whos near the brewery trade, i'll make some enquiries - i'll post if developments open up a new supply of cheepo's cornies.
FM
sadly they have moved to bag in a box some time ago... Boo Hoo :(

noby

Post by noby » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:45 pm

Lads,

I've just come across a link for Cornie Kegs from the US. Even with shipping, they come in at half the going rate. http://cgi.ebay.ie/5gal-Ball-lock-Kegs- ... dZViewItem is the link.
Does anyone have experience dealing with them, or can anyone give me any reason not to deal with them? I'm thinking maybe duties etc.

PeterESB

Post by PeterESB » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:09 pm

How much does it work out for 4 kegs with shipping then ;) .

noby

Post by noby » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:18 pm

4 Kegs to Ireland come in at 88euro. 22euro a piece is about £15 sterling

tribs

Post by tribs » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:35 pm

Noby,

I read your post with interest. I've just roughly worked out the costs for importing 4 at the reduced price to here in lancashire inc shipping, customs duty and VAT.

It works out @ about £31 each with disconnects. That is 20-30 day delivery with insurance.

Its not bad, but Norm is offering them @ £35 each inc disconnects beer+gas line and a sparkler tap. He quoted delivery charge for 2 + some other bits £15 in 2 days.

I think I'll probably stick with Norm.

Seems it might be worth it if you're in Eire though. Remember to include your customs and VAT though.

tribs

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:42 pm

I saw this advert a while ago when I was looking for cheap Cornies.

I'll stand corrected, but I think this is the place that DaaB looked into. The very cheapest price inc postage, was for surface mail using US Postal Service. Apart from taking an absolute age for them to catch a boat from California to here, the vendors wouldn't recommend using US Postal Service, as aparently they aren't too reliable.

They recommend shipping Via UPS, which by the time you've factored in the extra shipping costs, makes them dearer than purchasing from the UK.

I only paid £20 each for mine including 2 disconnects from here in the UK. But I think the supplier I and a few others of us on here used, is now charging about £30 each inc disconnects.

So you might want to check again the shipping costs. As I say, I stand corrected if I'm wrong.