Casks: Plastic or steel?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.

Casks: Plastic or steel

Plastic
29%
Steel
71%

Total votes: 7

screwybrewy

Casks: Plastic or steel?

Post by screwybrewy » Fri May 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi again,

Plastic is cheaper, steel is tougher - which is best and why?! Any advice appreciated...

Cheers.

Horatio
Under the Table

Re: Casks: Plastic or steel?

Post by Horatio » Fri May 09, 2014 3:56 pm

I use plastic. The only reason I use them was the initial cost. That said I like the lighter weight too. I think it is really going to be a difficult question to answer as each has pros and cons. I have been using my plastic ones for 8 months now without any issues; although I do all my own deliveries so know how they are treated in transit! That may change if they go through a distributor! I do have half a dozen steel casks but have never used them. I think steel will always have the edge with durability over plastic but weight and cost is better with plastic. I did also get some concerns shown by some landlords when told the beer would be in plastic casks. It hasn't stopped them buying more beer and nothing was said after the first deliveries so I think whatever fears they had were unfounded? Be interesting to see the views of those more experienced than me! :D
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri May 09, 2014 3:59 pm

A couple of friends that run a micro brewery swear that the plastic casks are easier to use and clean, plus they're cheaper. They started off with plastic, ended up with some metal ones on the side, tried to use them and then decided they hated them.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:52 pm

What about wood!!!!! ;)

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Fri May 09, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm moving to kegs at some point in the near future and will be going steel. Simple reason is that if I'd gone to steel kegs from the beginning at today's prices instead of king/budget kegs I would have spent less money, even taking the gas supply into account. None of the original kegs I've bought are still in use, they've all split. I have one of the original replacements, but the rest are the third lot I've bought.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

screwybrewy

Post by screwybrewy » Sat May 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Useful stuff, thanks folks. Anyone know of a good supplier? I'd like to get them branded...

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Sat May 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Brewery Plastics make the Cypherco one I use. I've just tried to google them to get a link to pits but can't find the site now? Cypherco.com should work though.
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sun May 11, 2014 7:59 pm

If you can afford it, steel is the better choice. It will hold its value should you ever decide to get rid of them. Plastic.... won't.

cqout
Piss Artist

Post by cqout » Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm

I use plastic ones from brewery plastic - they are very good - www.breweryplastics.co.uk also found them very helpfull.
BossTronix 1 15 gallon pot brewery
2 x 7 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical
6 x Corny Kegs
in Keg 1 - Black Lager
in Keg 2 - Raspberryade
in Keg 3 - Devil's Backbone Clone
in Keg 4 - empty
in keg 5 - empty
in keg 6 - empty
Tap 1 - Black lager
Tap 2 - Raspberryade

Martin G

Post by Martin G » Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 pm

How many will you buy? I have a pin and a couple of steel casks from Hereford Casks, brewery name and stamped plate for about £60 each. Say what you like about plastic, these beauties are shiney!!