plastic boiling vessels

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
bod

plastic boiling vessels

Post by bod » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:05 pm

i'm planning on builing a new boiler, as my gas stove just cant bring 5 to 6 gallons to a decent rolling boil in my aluminium pan.

so, i'm thinking of a plastic boiler with an element, which cost 60 quid from a brew shop, for a bucket... and an element.... so i recon i can do it cheaper than that!

i found some really good storage barrels, made out of HDPE. having looked arround, it seems HDPE is suitable for a boiler, but PP would be better. HDPE has a melting point of 130C. has anyone got any advise on this before i start buying bits and pieces?

the barrel is a 30litre size, although, i'm tempted with going bigger, to allow for double batches... :D its listed on here http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/New%20Barrels.htm their postage charges seem a little excesive i feel, but i recon i could get the carriers we use at work to pick it up for a fiver. :lol:

so, this barrel, an element near the bottom and a tap, and i recon i'm sorted. total cost, £38, including that ridiculous postage charge.

so, any comments on the use of HDPE?

cheers,

bod.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Can't comment on the plastic bod but I reckon two kettle elements would be the way forward - have 'em both on to get the boil going then switch one off to maintain the boil.

Myself and DaaB made simmerstat controllers to provide regulated switching of the element. I got my element out of a kettle from Wilkinsons, they're still selling them for a fiver. Have to dismantle the kettle but it's easy and you get the lead/plug included.

http://www.forumforfree.com/forums/inde ... wtopic=274

Edit: If those barrels are OK at high temperatures then they'd make a great mash tun also!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:06 pm

Well, Bod, my advice would be better safe than sorry and go for a polypropylene bucket, which is what purpose-built boilers are made from.

Even my own PP Electrim bin gets worryingly soft under boiling conditions, so anything less sturdy would be better avoided in my opinion!

I would also avoid like the plague anything that isn't made for food use. Those coloured storage barrels may leach out nasty chemicals when in contact with hot, acidic wort.

:out

bod

Post by bod » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:33 pm

£35 for a prebuilt one sounds good to me! :D kind of embarasing really, as i buy all my ingredients from leyland but never checked out their other bits and bobs.

and all that time i save not making a boiler i get to brew. :D

cheers for the tips!

James

Post by James » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:42 pm

QUOTE (bod @ Mar 27 2006, 05:05 PM) HDPE has a melting point of 130C.

That seems pretty close to 100degC boiling point; only 30deg between boiling wort and melting. Plastic is nice and light but unfortunatley, like Jim says can get a bit wobbly when hot.

Is it not worth getting a dedicated floor-standing burner and keeping with your metal pot?

JC

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 pm

QUOTE (bod @ Mar 27 2006, 05:05 PM) i'm planning on builing a new boiler, as my gas stove just cant bring 5 to 6 gallons to a decent rolling boil in my aluminium pan.

I understood Aluminium was to be avoided as a boiling pot. Not sure why though, I think many household saucepans are Aluminium.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:56 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Mar 27 2006, 07:23 PM)Leyland Homebrew sell their own 33L single element boiler for £35, for that you get the element, lead, bucket and tap. You can easily add another element,  http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item586.htm they will cut a hole for you if you dont have a large enough hole saw.

This is the boiler i've got, recommended to me by DAAB, and I can vouch that it works a treat. They also sell the http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item639.htm they use in it's construction, so if you did have ago at making it you could be assured that it will stand up to the heat :)

bod

Post by bod » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:40 pm

been there, done that, got the tshirt with the whole aluminium thing. believe me! :lol:

a floor standing burner means going outside, which isnt an option unfortuantely, as my kitchen is too small to cope, its tight as it is, being only 6 foot square.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 am

....and there's permafrost outside in Glasgie :lol: :rolleyes:

bod

Post by bod » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:13 am

dunno about permafrost... pissing it down with rain is the norm round here!