Automated Control Valves.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sun May 11, 2014 12:02 pm

I am looking at building an automated brewery, now this will obviously need a number of valves. The actual control side of things is not an issue as I have access any control panel parts I need. The valves are proving problematic, its just I'm not sure what the best ones to use are. The only thing I really know is I would normally go with normally closed type valves so in the event of a power failure it all fails safe, but looking at butterfly valves, ball valves, or solenoid valves, I just really don't know what is best to use, in terms of materials, and readily available in the UK etc. I could even build my own, If I knew the best way of going about it.

So anybody with any advice, please let me know? any Idea what they use in the industry?

Thanks

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun May 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Fail safe pneumatic ball valves are a industry standard in the food sector. Very simple in design but you would need a small compressor which are noisy unless you have a decent budget.

You can have you solenoid on the valve and run a cable, or put the sols in your control panel and run a hose to it.
Last edited by LeeH on Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Twistedfinger
Hollow Legs

Re: Automated Control Valves.

Post by Twistedfinger » Sun May 11, 2014 12:08 pm

I'd go for a solenoid operated diaphragm valve. They can easily be split for cleaning and I'd expect NC versions will be available.

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sun May 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks guys, pneumatic isn't an issue, I have access to a decent compressor. I'll have a look about, if anybody knows of any suitable manufacturers/suppliers?

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun May 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Don't the diaphragm valves need pressure at both sides to close?

I'm not a valve expert but I have had a headache of a job with diaphragm valves due to pressure differences. We ended up replacing them with ball valves as the reliability was poor.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun May 11, 2014 12:16 pm

BSS.

I can get you discount if you do use them but you may find cheaper online.

Just start googling, there will be loads. Won't be cheap though!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun May 11, 2014 12:17 pm

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sun May 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks for the link and offer LeeH.

Any thoughts on these,http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pneumatic ... s/2111310/. Its not obvious but they are stainless steel body.
Last edited by mikew on Sun May 11, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun May 11, 2014 1:30 pm

you can use a solanoid diaphram valve with mains pressure but stuck on the bottom of a pot relying on gravity you wont have the pressure needed to open one. when looking at it myself i did some dodgy google n back of fag packet math to work out that a solar pump on full pelt isnt generatting the pressure needed either.

motorised ball valves will work without any back pressure but do take time to both open and close so an instant shut off isnt on the cards.

However i spotted these recently

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290763981675? ... 1439.l2649

worth a punt??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sun May 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks Fil,

I don't think rapid shut off is really a requirement, so ball valves from that point shouldn't be an issue, it just seems they are really hard to come by

Like you say those, for that cost certainly worth a punt.

**Edit** Those valves are a great find, they do all manner of valves incl. stainless ones, at a crazy price.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sun May 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Was going to say, I wouldn't even bother with pneumatic. Not like you're at risk of fire or in an explosive environment (and if you are, you're doing it wrong!)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun May 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Spring return valves shut off pretty quick unless you have throttled back the exhaust.

They look the job from RS, if you want them I'll see what I can get them for.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sun May 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Wow! Them ebay ones will be a cheap solution!

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 pm

yea, I wouldn't normally bother with pneumatic controlled valves, but they certainly are the industry standard, and like for like they do seem a lot cheaper, I think at lot of the problems with the Solenoid valves are the coil generates heat, so the medium temperature drops off quite a bit.

LeeH thanks,I'm guessing you have contacts. I know quite a bit about pneumatic valves, but process and liquid control is not my forte, Looking at them ones on ebay they seem to be pretty good for the cost, particularly the stainless ones, looking at them you can even strip them down for cleaning, and they will operate with little to no pressure at a good temperature. For that cost, (and the fact I'm in the US with work in a couple of weeks, so I can avoid the intl. delivery) I think I'll give them a go, if not I've got the RS ones to fall back on.