I've caved in....AG for me. My build thread.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue May 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Although I said I never would for few years, it's AG time for me.

This is the first part of my build that I bagged FOC from work.

Any suggestions where to put everything?

Thinking about putting the mash tun on the bottom with the plate chiller and a couple of pumps with 2 Buffalo 40l boilers on top.

TBH, I've not given it too much thought yet. I think I'll get all the gear here and have a play around but I have the option of adding bits to the table as I work for a engineering company so stainless steel and welders are plentiful.

I'm what you call....a bit excited!!!

Lee.

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Re: I've caved in....AG for me. My build thread.

Post by Heron1952 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Won't it be difficult putting the grain in and stirring, with the mash tun underneath?
aka Rhys

cellone

Post by cellone » Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Bull by the horns and all of that. Fair play.

I'm envious of the space you have to do this. When my wife said 'I know where you could tidy and build an AG set up, get rid of your fridges.' it was one of those roller coaster moments only your woman can create.

Looking forward to seeing how your build go's.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue May 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Heron1952 wrote:Won't it be difficult putting the grain in and stirring, with the mash tun underneath?
It's quite roomy but yes it would be better on top but I'm trying to keep it compact.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue May 27, 2014 9:36 pm

cellone wrote:Bull by the horns and all of that. Fair play.

I'm envious of the space you have to do this. When my wife said 'I know where you could tidy and build an AG set up, get rid of your fridges.' it was one of those roller coaster moments only your woman can create.

Looking forward to seeing how your build go's.
It's a bitter sweet thing really, the only reason I have the space is because I sold my weekend toy so the garage is free.

My better half is very supportive on the brewing front.

But long term I want a car in the garage and my build compact enough to split down and store in the shed.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 am

Hope you enjoy the build as much as the brews and beers..

if u want your tun under the table, how about a sliding shelf to allow u easy doughing in access, tho underletting will significantly reduce flourballs and the need for extensive doughing in.

You could fit 2 x buffalo and a tun on the table top tho no probs, but if u want some workspace, perhaps the hlt is the ideal candidate to go low, pumping water up to a level has no hidden dangers like pumping mash liquor where the pump may suck n stick the mash or from the kettle where the suck may clog a hop filter??

if relying on solar pumps, buy a spare, they can throw a wobbly needing a head pull and finger spin of the impeller on occasion, easy to do at your leisure, a real pita mid way thru a brew when u want to move hot beer..

And the golden tip, Allways, sit a clean bucket under the tap of any vessel ur filling, YOU WILL leave a tap open we all do... ;) but if u habitually use clean buckets you wont loose/waste beer..

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed May 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Fil wrote:Hope you enjoy the build as much as the brews and beers..

if u want your tun under the table, how about a sliding shelf to allow u easy doughing in access, tho underletting will significantly reduce flourballs and the need for extensive doughing in.

You could fit 2 x buffalo and a tun on the table top tho no probs, but if u want some workspace, perhaps the hlt is the ideal candidate to go low, pumping water up to a level has no hidden dangers like pumping mash liquor where the pump may suck n stick the mash or from the kettle where the suck may clog a hop filter??

if relying on solar pumps, buy a spare, they can throw a wobbly needing a head pull and finger spin of the impeller on occasion, easy to do at your leisure, a real pita mid way thru a brew when u want to move hot beer..

And the golden tip, Allways, sit a clean bucket under the tap of any vessel ur filling, YOU WILL leave a tap open we all do... ;) but if u habitually use clean buckets you wont loose/waste beer..
Hi Phil, I'm going down the mag pump road for reliability and ease of use/flow control.

You're right the mash tun would be a pain underneath and I guess pumping from the tun would be problematic? I was initially thinking about fly sparging and while pumping into the boiler. But I really have no AG experience.

What do you mean by under letting?

Thanks.

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:48 pm

LeeH wrote:What do you mean by under letting?
Under letting is where you put your grain in your mash tun the add your mash water via the mash tun tap, i.e. From the bottom of the grain (rather than adding water to the mash tun then tipping the grain in).

As said above, it produces far less flour balls and needs less doughing in / stirring.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 am

Joe hit the proverbial nail on the head ;) and it works ;)

perhaps trying out a few brews with different configurations will help you find the ideal set up for you, , i rely on gravity until the kettle, and pump to the FV, but if i ever find a bargain scissor lift capable of lifting 120kg high enough ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri May 30, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

First part arrived today, although a bit backwards in the process.

Conical FV from the malt miller.

pads72

Post by pads72 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Very shiny! I saw the Malt Miller had these, what are the dimensions? Need to know if it'd fit in my temp controlled fridge! :)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat May 31, 2014 12:33 pm

It's fits, no problem.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Sat May 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Looking good mate, I'm already jealous you got one of those fancy brew buckets.

I will be giving under letting a go once we have our stuff in order, will be interesting to see the result, sounds less time consuming compared to the regular method.

What size and type of mash tun are you going to use?

Cheers.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat May 31, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm looking it this from brew UK.

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/ag-equip ... h-tun.html

How much was your stainless one?

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Sat May 31, 2014 4:25 pm

Mine was £140 inc delivery, false bottom and a copper syphon soldered in, 38.5l capacity, 40 with the lid off but that would be pushing it.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com