Counter flow heater

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PeterESB

Counter flow heater

Post by PeterESB » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone has tried using a counter flow chillier, as a counter flow heater, by running hot tap water around the outside tube, with the cool water, to be pre-heated before it goes into the boiler/mahstun, around the inside tube. Also for that fact has anyone used water striate from the hot tap to brew with, if so what where the results.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:25 pm

You'd need an awful lot of *very* hot tap water to get a suitable quantity of mash liquor from cold up to strike temp (approx 72degC) using that approach. The tap water would have to be silly hot and hitting the desired output temp for the heated liquor would be a nightmare.

In short, don't go there.

PeterESB

Post by PeterESB » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:18 pm

:out What about using water striate from the hot tap :P

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:46 pm

Wouldn't do it. You want fresh water for brewing, hot water from the tap may have stood around in a header tank and copper cylinder (depending upon your heating setup) for some time.

PeterESB

Post by PeterESB » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:35 pm

No, my boiler heats water on demand. Comes fresh from supply into boiler and out of tap. No tank no immersion heater/tank.

PeterESB

Post by PeterESB » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:40 pm

I might get a glass of hot, water let it cool, then see what it tastes like. Never really fancied drinking it before though, I must admit :huh: