Pressure barrels

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
ianc

Pressure barrels

Post by ianc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 pm

i have been using plastic pressure barrels for a few years and they have the 2 inch cap with the ability to inject co2 if reqd, but the blue rubber seals have died and pressure is lost, bought a new barrel from well known store that has a cap with white rubber seal, that failed at first attempt despite greasing it, got money back and cost of kit,,,,,,well done wilko ...but where do I go from here ,,,,the original seals are no longer produced.....so is it new barrels or caps from somewhere with working seals.....any ideas please....I am beginning get to sober up !!!!! Cheers ,,,Ian

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Pressure barrels

Post by lord groan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:29 pm

My barrels (4" cap)have the gas inlet covered by a roughly 1/4" diameter rubber seal. Last winter a seal perished while the barrel was full and my spares box didn't contain any correct size replacements. Scratching around in desperation I found a length of 1/4" silicon type aquarium tubing, I cut a piece to the right length and pushed it onto the inlet pin and it's worked perfectly ever since!
I'm not familiar with the 2" caps but could a short piece of general purpose soft rubber/silicon tubing do the trick? It'll need to be soft mind you, not the clear pvc stuff as that'll just be too tight to release pressure

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 am

I have a few caps with the blue silicone seal and thought spares would be available, but after much searching, as you say, couldn't find any. Homebrew suppliers do sell a replacement square section seal for 2 inch caps and this may work.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:53 am

ianc wrote:i have been using plastic pressure barrels for a few years and they have the 2 inch cap with the ability to inject co2 if reqd, but the blue rubber seals have died and pressure is lost, bought a new barrel from well known store that has a cap with white rubber seal, that failed at first attempt despite greasing it, got money back and cost of kit,,,,,,well done wilko ...but where do I go from here ,,,,the original seals are no longer produced.....so is it new barrels or caps from somewhere with working seals.....any ideas please....I am beginning get to sober up !!!!! Cheers ,,,Ian
I know that the homebrew shop in Maidstone Kent has replacement blue seals.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

ianc

Post by ianc » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks do yo have an address please

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 pm

For Information

I just got some of these from here:

http://www.whyteshomewineequipment.co.u ... p-125.html

ianc

Post by ianc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:31 pm

many thanks just ordered some .....hoorah !!!!!

ianc

Post by ianc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:34 pm

many thanks all.....have now ordered some seals....tried the place in kent....they thought the order to small to bother with then never replied ...MMMM !!!!....but happy now ...back to brewing ...hic

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Glad you are sorted. Took me ages to find somewhere that stocked these. Full marks to Whytes Home Wine Equipment for sorting out two desperate brewers 8)