hop rockets

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
barry44

hop rockets

Post by barry44 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 am

Hi,

i share my brewing kit with my mate and he has been making noises about buying a hop rocket to use in the set up.

As far as i am aware, the hop rocket will need to be used in tandem with a heat exchanger with the rocket being in between the boiler and exchanger.

I am looking to understand what the hops in the hop rocket replaces in a normal recipe.

For example, i brew with a 60 minute addition, further additions at 15/10 and 5 depending on the type of beer and then a dry hop.

I don' steep hops other than what is in the boiler whilst i cool using an immersion chiller.

Does the hop rocket replace the steeped hops or does it replace the dry hops?

och29
Piss Artist

Re: hop rockets

Post by och29 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 am

From my experience it replaces the steep hops. It also has the advantage of acting as an additional filter which is useful if you have a plate chiller.

The Blichmann one can also be used as a RIMS vessel if you get the RIMS Rocket adapter although I haven't seen then in Europe yet.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:05 am

as well as....
I'm planning on recirc via racking port in FV in place or dry hopping on APA 'hoping' is more efficient and leaves less bits floating around, we'll see.
Also for dark beers going to use as ?pre-randaliser for flavouring beers for FV keg or keg to keg.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 am

I have one, but I can't say that I use it all that often.
You do lose a lot of wort to the hops.....the chamber holds up to 4oz of flowers IIRC, so I would only use it these days when brewing 40 litres +.
I use mine with a plate chiller immediately after as this is supposed to maximise the aroma.