Removable Perlick flow control mounted direct on keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
beerlover1983

Removable Perlick flow control mounted direct on keg

Post by beerlover1983 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Any one have experience of using a perlick flow control like below directly on the keg.Im want to use this on a 9Ltr corny keg and serving at lowish pressures mainly naturally carbing the keg and dispensing with a mini c02 charger.

I know some people had the taps minus the flow control and they produce loads of foam but are the perlicks with flowcontrol any better cant seem to find many reviews of this setup

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/cornelius-flow- ... -taps.html

och29
Piss Artist

Re: Removable Perlick flow control mounted direct on keg

Post by och29 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 am

I have flow control taps on my tower. They can't fix all problems, they just give you some leeway with regards to line balancing.
I have seen something that you drop in the corny out tube that will help. Never found out where it was from but it looks like the plastic 'mixer' that you find in t part caulking gun nozzles.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:05 am

I also have the Perlick flow control taps and as mentioned they are not a solution for all problems but they will certainly help.
As long as your corny isn't over carbonated though it shouldn't be a problem.

I bought mine from Norm on ebay who also sells them for direct corny connection - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORNELIUS-TYP ... 4ade0d316e

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:17 am

Temperature is a factor too, if you can ensure low carbonation and keeping the beer cool you will have a lot less problems.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 am

AnthonyUK wrote:I also have the Perlick flow control taps and as mentioned they are not a solution for all problems but they will certainly help.
As long as your corny isn't over carbonated though it shouldn't be a problem.

I bought mine from Norm on ebay who also sells them for direct corny connection - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORNELIUS-TYP ... 4ade0d316e

Nice do you use it direct on keg like above.Im currently using a party tap on 5ft of 3/16 line which is great but flushing out when not used as im not storing in fridge.

I think i should be ok then as im naturally carbing with sugar in keg them just using mini c02 bulb to seal and get last bits out.

Hoping the tap direct on keg means less fuss with flusing line when not in use and looks nice.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:38 am

I have kegerator but the beer lines are only 0.5m so the flow control is very useful.

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 pm

orlando wrote:Temperature is a factor too, if you can ensure low carbonation and keeping the beer cool you will have a lot less problems.

Heres where my problem is i run this from a 9ltr keg kept in a cool corner lf my flat.Seems to work well with the 3/16 line but i suspect samw wont be for tap on keg if the keg is not that cool but is low pressure

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:25 pm

beerlover1983 wrote:
orlando wrote:Temperature is a factor too, if you can ensure low carbonation and keeping the beer cool you will have a lot less problems.

Heres where my problem is i run this from a 9ltr keg kept in a cool corner lf my flat.Seems to work well with the 3/16 line but i suspect samw wont be for tap on keg if the keg is not that cool but is low pressure
My prediction is that anything in double figure temperature will make it fob, summer time forget it. I have a perlick without flow control on a corny disconnect so have experienced this. The beer is kept in a cellar but not a temperature controlled one so as soon as we get to the warmer months it is not practically possible to use, you will be able to deal with things slightly better with flow control but you have to be honest with yourself, how cool really is cool?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:05 pm

orlando wrote:
beerlover1983 wrote:

My prediction is that anything in double figure temperature will make it fob, summer time forget it. I have a perlick without flow control on a corny disconnect so have experienced this. The beer is kept in a cellar but not a temperature controlled one so as soon as we get to the warmer months it is not practically possible to use, you will be able to deal with things slightly better with flow control but you have to be honest with yourself, how cool really is cool?

Cheers mate well i am thinking i can only really run it in winter time.I have a keg parka that fits round keg that i can put a ice blanket into to drop the temp.

But as it stands i just took a temp its 18 degrees coming out the tap.Im just thinking would it be best to stick with the party tap and the 5ft of 3/16 line.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm

its a punt i wouldnt take, i have one of the direct to disconect taps without flow control and its a total waste of metal. i would give it you but it would be a disservice, you can at least eat a chocolate teapot.

the margin of control with my black dalex style flow control taps is upto 6 ish psi, a keg pressure above that and flow control is not gonna solve much, but at that level they work a charm, if the mechanism employed in the perlick flow control taps is any better i dont know. the volume of beer waste in 5ft of microline is nominal stick with what works..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 am

Fil wrote:its a punt i wouldnt take, i have one of the direct to disconect taps without flow control and its a total waste of metal. i would give it you but it would be a disservice, you can at least eat a chocolate teapot.

the margin of control with my black dalex style flow control taps is upto 6 ish psi, a keg pressure above that and flow control is not gonna solve much, but at that level they work a charm, if the mechanism employed in the perlick flow control taps is any better i dont know. the volume of beer waste in 5ft of microline is nominal stick with what works..
I think you may be spot on .I do intend on having this little keg boxed in a wooden enclosure oneday
Maybe a simple tape connected to the 3/16 line would be better.

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:26 pm

So i did a test with a very short lenth of 3/8 line going into alumasc tap now i know the 3/8 goes into a 5/16 hole when hits tap but if i can pull a pint off on this maybe the perlick would work ?