Keg lube

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Scooby

Keg lube

Post by Scooby » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 pm

If you use this where do you get it from, or do you use Vaseline?

Beertech are out of stock at the mo.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:07 pm

I use a food grade silicone spray.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:20 pm

DaaB wrote:I have a tube of keg lube but don't bother with it as you can get a much better seal making sure your o-rings are in good order and the sealing surface are squeaky clean. It also degrades the o-ring rubber and is a bugger to clean off.
I got mine from the US, if you want it you can have it for the cost of postage although i'd have said vaseline was just as good.
I didn't realise it degrades the o-rings DaaB. I've been having a conversation with Vossy regarding the lack of service kit for the taps Norm supplies, I thought it may be a good idea to treat the seals with lube to keep them in good condition and prolong their life, not to make a seal (I don't need to use it on any cornie parts as I do as you say regarding cleaning) but to keep the ones in the tap that are subject to friction in good order.

What do you think? would it be detrimental.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:33 pm

I have used Vaseline for several years now, do degrading of o-rings and no leakage of gas from the keg. Plus it is cheap and readily available.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:43 pm

TC2642 wrote:I have used Vaseline for several years now, do degrading of o-rings and no leakage of gas from the keg. Plus it is cheap and readily available.
I may be wrong but on a cornie the beer is not in contact with the o-rings, it would be impossible to avoid contact with the beer if applied to a tap and I'm not sure I would like my beer flowing over vaseline.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 pm

DaaB wrote:
I didn't realise it degrades the o-rings DaaB.
I thought it wasn't supposed to either until I tried to clean it off the lid o-ring, I thought it had left a sticky residue until I realised that it was the o-ring that was knackered.

Taps don't need lubricating as the beer will do that as long as you keep them clean and don't let any sticky residue build up.

(bear in mind the o-rings/seals aren't load bearing, they operate at low friction and low speed and don't move that far or that often , although I expect Vossys and Wez's go up and down like a fiddlers elbow :lol: )

edit:

I wouldn't want to try it on the tap unless you can get replacement o-rings and seals for it, just in case.

Good thinking DaaB, I think I'll use BLC regularly to make sure I keep them really clean :wink:

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Scooby wrote:
TC2642 wrote:I have used Vaseline for several years now, do degrading of o-rings and no leakage of gas from the keg. Plus it is cheap and readily available.
I may be wrong but on a cornie the beer is not in contact with the o-rings, it would be impossible to avoid contact with the beer if applied to a tap and I'm not sure I would like my beer flowing over vaseline.
Sorry Scooby I'm thinking about a plastic beer keg! (Old School :wink: ).

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:07 pm

although I expect Vossys and Wez's go up and down like a fiddlers elbow )
Eh :shock: (in a Cartmen southpark sort of manor manor)

Fair point though :oops: :lol: :lol:

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:15 pm

KY Jelly from the chemist is good for adult movies but also good for cornies :o :roll: :lol: :lol:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:19 pm

:lol: :lol:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:41 pm

Perhaps I should move the Emotional bliss silicone lubricant from the bedside cabinet to the brewing cupboard :oops: :lol:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:42 pm

:lol: :lol:

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:06 pm

RabMaxwell wrote:KY Jelly from the chemist is good for adult movies but also good for cornies :o :roll: :lol: :lol:
Nah...it's water soluble....not a good idea. Do you want KY Beer?

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:06 pm

So, is the keg lube i've ordered from the States useless in the brewery and should be used elsewhere in the house? :wink:
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

Wez

Post by Wez » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:12 pm

although I expect Vossys and Wez's go up and down like a fiddlers elbow )
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! :lol:

What!??