Easy mash tun drain...!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Easy mash tun drain...!

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 2:55 pm

Anything wrong with...

...brass fitments in a mash tun...? :huh:

bod

Post by bod » Sun May 21, 2006 4:05 pm

not as far as i'm concerned, i use them, and have done for years. :D

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 4:19 pm

Excellent!

In which case I present....

The Mash Tun Drain for Dummies!

Disassembles for easy cleaning and has the MCDI factor for those like me who have the DIY skills of a treefrog.

The brass fitments are push-fit, compression units although I have not compressed the copper olives, so I can get it apart easily for cleaning. The bigger fitment screws straight onto the beer tap and the copper pipe is designed to bend in with hand pressure to the shape you require.

Just one hole to drill in a coolbox, (with a little bit of expansion on the first skin), and a little bit of work with the hacksaw.

The question mark shape reflects my state of mind throughout any DIY process!?! :D :P

Reg ;)

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 4:22 pm

Nice work Reg, have you sawn through the pipe yet to make the collection grooves ?

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 4:28 pm

QUOTE (andy @ May 21 2006, 04:22 PM) Nice work Reg, have you sawn through the pipe yet to make the collection grooves ?
Not as of yet, I have a cool box which I rescued from the shed, but am in a little bit of a quandary as Mrs Reg has just shipped off to Philidelphia on a business trip and I want to avoid the "I was saving that for a rainy day when the Pope opens a prophylactic factory" scenario. I will probably buy one at Robert Dyas in the Leadenhall when I'm at work tomorrow. ;)

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 4:30 pm

Mrs Reg away again eh, we'll await the flurry of Reg brewing akshun/pics :lol:

P.S They have phones in Philidelphia I'm lead to believe :rolleyes:

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 4:31 pm

QUOTE (andy @ May 21 2006, 04:30 PM) Mrs Reg away again eh, we'll await the flurry of Reg brewing akshun/pics  :lol:
I was thinking of brewing tonight - but am a tad knackered having braved the M25 to drop said beloved off. Might do a thermos flask mash for a starter though! :P

bod

Post by bod » Sun May 21, 2006 4:58 pm

sweet idea reg!!! are they 3/4'' fittings?

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Hey Bod

There are three components in addition to the standard 3/4" tap I had to hand from a fermentor...

1) A 3/4" -> 22mm brass connector, (compression fixed);

2 ) plus length of bendy 22mm pipe; and

3 ) finally a 22mm end stop, (compression fixed).

I happened to pop into Homebase to buy some fence paint, (on the world's rainiest day in the South - I am never logical), and saw the bendy pipe. I have no doubt a trawl of Screwfix will yield much cheaper prices!

I also thought that washing machine Y-fittings are 3/4", but on checking out the ones in Homebase, they were very short thread - not a real problem in a loose-fitting mash tun drain but I went with this idea. (The other idea, if you hadn't guessed, being to use another brass connector as in item (1) and create an "O"-loop).

However, having got the parts home and tested them the thread on the 3/4" tap fits perfectly with its washer and the 3/4" / 22mm brass connector so that it should all just attach nicely to the inner wall of the cool box...

... which is... errmmm... pretty cool! :D

Reg

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Sun May 21, 2006 6:43 pm

I feel your pain re. DIY skills :D

Your idea looks pretty good, I may have a go at making one, I'm not happy with my current mashing set up - something always goes wrong, and like the proverbial bad worker I blame my tools.

What did the above cost you reg, if you don't mind me asking?

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 7:10 pm

QUOTE (bitter_dave @ May 21 2006, 06:43 PM)I feel your pain re. DIY skills  :D

Your idea looks pretty good, I may have a go at making one, I'm not happy with my current mashing set up - something always goes wrong, and like the proverbial bad worker I blame my tools.

What did the above cost you reg, if you don't mind me asking?
Well fitting (1) was £1.99, (ahh the truth about DIY stores), but I have already located it at Screwfix for a mere £0.89!

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 0&id=16363, however they appear to have been shotblasted whereas mine was smooth which I like more from a cleaning standpoint... ;)

For (2), unfortunately I cannot find the bendy copper on Screwfix at all, although it's trade orientated so I may have muffed up the search. Homebase charged an extortionate £6.99 for this fitting and I'm personally as sure as Pete McSure that a little research will yield this stuff for under £0.99 per metre. :angry:

As an indication on (3), Screwfix charge http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&id=86313 of their 22mm end stops! Well I don't need ten, but this gives an indication of their trade value. Again theirs look heavily shotblasted whereas mine whilst not smooth only was very lightly shotblasted which should be easier to clean. I have just realised I have binned the receipt so I can't swear on this one but I think it was the same as item (1) or maybe £2.29 or something, but should again be about 99p from the right supplier. :blink:

I'd just print off my pics of the packets and take them to your local Plumshop. I'm betting you can do the lot for under a fiver! ;)

Hohum! :rolleyes: Such is the price of new ideas! :D

Reg

P.S. I should stress that this is an as yet UNTESTED design!

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Sun May 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Wicks would be much cheaper than Homebase/B&Q, but dearer than Screwfix.

Reg

Post by Reg » Tue May 23, 2006 6:30 pm

Grump :angry:

Went to my local homebrew store which has the advantage of opening late to pick up some more Sodium MBS and some Gervin English Ale planning to nip into ASDA on the way back for a cool box.

A brief rain shower clogged the road with cars so badly that a 15 minute return journey trebled in length and ate up all of my spare time!

Might be able to pop out late this evening.

:(

Reg

bod

Post by bod » Tue May 23, 2006 7:24 pm

that sounds dangerous to your bank balance!!! :lol: mine is only open to 5pm though which sucks.

Reg

Post by Reg » Tue May 23, 2006 7:55 pm

Mine opens until 7pm :D ...and as our local ASDA is 24 hour, I now have one of these £7 cool boxes.

Now it is nowhere near as sturdy as our nice Thermos one and I wonder just what it's heat retention will be like. On the plus side is has a nice tight fitting lid, unlike the sit on top Thermos one.

I guess the real plus is at £7.00 if it doesn't do the job, then what the hey! ;) Argos do a proper Thermos one for £14.99.

Reg