30LTR Mash tun advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
colgilbec
Piss Artist

30LTR Mash tun advice

Post by colgilbec » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi ,
Just looking at treating myself to one of these for an xmas present using it as a mash tun, the specs look spot on, hopefully giving a constant temp.
Presently i,m using an electric burco boiler for hot water, then pouring into igloo mash tun then out into boiling vessel.
My igloo is a good bit of kit but i cannot hold the same temp no matter how hard i try, can range to + - 6dgrs, so each mash is different .
I,ll not be brewing over 5 gallon so size wise i think it will be o.k.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted as at present i just cannot decide wether to take the jump, unless there,s any better out there for the price,ta in advance.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390983101542? ... EBIDX%3AIT
If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cats back and drop it from a building, it hovers just above the ground rotaing slowly.

Goulders
Under the Table

Re: 30LTR Mash tun advice

Post by Goulders » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:14 am

Surprised you are having problems with your igloo. I have the Igloo ice cube 48, pre heat and use the JBK strike calc. Spot on so far... I put a cushion on the lid and a sock on the ball valve tap

colgilbec
Piss Artist

Post by colgilbec » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 am

Was the same Goulders had very little problems first couple of years, but looking to perfect things more now, to see what/if minimal changes does .
If you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cats back and drop it from a building, it hovers just above the ground rotaing slowly.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:43 pm

Looks like a potential HLT or boiler to me perhaps, but it doesn't seem to have any insulation so using it as a mash tun is tricky. With a tank full of wet grain and a heating element at the bottom theres not much hope of good water circulation so i'd expect it to overheat at the bottom and be too cold at the top of the grain bed unless you add a recirculation system of some sort. I think your temperature control might be worse than in your igloo.
sorry to be so negative :(

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:07 pm

I use my Igloo 45 litre cube mashtun every week for 5 or 10 gallon brews in the garage and in winter and cannot fault it. Pre warm the tun while the HLT is heating the mash water calculate the temp required no problem hits the target every time. I put the lid down chuck an old sheepskin coat over the top and in 90 mins dony loose more than 1 or 2 degrees. Something is not right.I would not use a tun with an element if you gave it for free . In the old days I used to mash with a brewheat boiler and a grain bag what a nightmare , I don't like elements in tiny mashtuns they can burn. I think the only thing better than my cube is a thermopot.
Good luck :D

colgilbec
Piss Artist

Post by colgilbec » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Cheers for your input chaps, thats the sort of answers i was looking for, past experience of use.
Think the elements are concealed beneath a plate so will have no contact.
I can understand the issue of colder at the top than the bottom, thus not giving a true reading.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:51 pm

before laying out on a heated tun i would
1) check the igloo lid insulation, if none, xonsider some perlite or vermiculite from the garden centre, some folk have used expanding foam, i used bubblewrap in my camping gaz cold box lid.

2) ensure you preheat with 2 perhaps 3 off the boil kettlefuls while the hlt warms up,

3) sit the tun on insulation old squares of corrigated cardboard will do..

4) once doughed in lid AND cover with old coats, sleeping bags, the laundty even and dont open till your ready to sparge..

5) check your thermometer???
If you still have a temp loss over 1-2C perhaps a herms or rims heater amd a small pump?:)

imho adding heat during a mash thats not from a well regulated external herms/rims set up is very likely to cook and denature the enzymes your relying on for the conversion,

good luck...
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

colgilbec
Piss Artist

Post by colgilbec » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks for your info Fil,
I,m up to strength with the workings of my igloo and its insulated, i did the lid with expanding foam,[may not have gotten into all the areas in the lid though]thermometers are o.k.i also keep it well covered and pre heat it.
From the comments,looks like i,ll persevere with it rather than splash out on the above.May have to inspect it further.