Thermo pot 70ltc

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
hambrook
Piss Artist

Re: Thermo pot 70ltc

Post by hambrook » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:38 pm

barneey wrote:
Wonkydonkey wrote:I've been reading barneey's post ( there's over 5k) about mods, I didn't want a bottom drain, but I gleaned lots of good info on many ways to mod,

Thanks barneey,
Yep there's quite a few old posts of mine on JBK which are still relevant today :wink: trouble is they get lost in the process of time & are swallowed up in the forum.

If the thermo pot supply gets back on its feet again they should prove a helpful source of info & more importantly possible avoidance of pitfalls.

Pot sizes

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48786&hilit=thermo+never+last

One of my last pots

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49067&hilit=thermo+never+last

One of my first

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44185&hilit=thermo+never+last

To name but a few, happy cutting
Thanks for the links, looks like the german supply is up and running again, I'ev just got a couple of 40l boilers ordered so am considering a Thermo Pot for a mash tun; is 50L over kill for size?
- Former owner of The Emsworth Brewhouse -
Now back to home brewing of a Braumeister 50L

schlafsack

Post by schlafsack » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 pm

The elbows can be found half way down the page. As I said, quite expensive at £20 a pair....

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatal ... alves.html

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm

schlafsack wrote:The elbows can be found half way down the page. As I said, quite expensive at £20 a pair....

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatal ... alves.html
Great Find!! before committing tho it might be worth checking the thermopot bought for the mod as they do differ in base insulation thickness a little, as Dan said above his bits went in without any mods needed to the off the shelf hardware..

if u want to cut costs you may find a buyer for the spare 2nd elbow if u post it for sale in here..

looking forward to the build post hint hint.. ;)

also if intending to tip a big tun to drain the last runnings Remember to sit the tun lip on the table edge before filling!! :D
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:12 am

Fil wrote: if u want to cut costs you may find a buyer for the spare 2nd elbow if u post it for sale in here..

Would agree at that price they certainly seem to be the a good buy =D>
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:21 am

hambrook wrote: Thanks for the links, looks like the german supply is up and running again, I'ev just got a couple of 40l boilers ordered so am considering a Thermo Pot for a mash tun; is 50L over kill for size?
Not really as the next size down is a 38 ltr and that will have a side hole for a tap (1/3 from bottom) so that either leaves you with filling the hole or making a manifold.

The tap & Manifold design is explained here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51481

I have converted / owned most of the German pots in the last 3/ 4 years & the posts are on JBK somewhere, its good to see however the new batch of conversions coming along using additional bits of hardware, such as the elbow.

Go for a 50ltr pot + will give you enough room for a sparge arm (should you wish) or an extra strong brew.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:46 pm

+1 to the 50L pot. With mine I sometime do 5 gallon batches but also can do 10 gallons if I feel like it. Gives you more options for the future.
Dan!

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Shiny stuff arrived whilst I was out having a sneaky half hour doing a bit more work in the brew shed during my lunch break so my wife took delivery. I'll open the boxes a bit later...

James