CO2 Gas

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
deadlydes

CO2 Gas

Post by deadlydes » Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 am

Didnt know where to post this but anyway.
i have found a supplier of CO2, its a fire extinguisher refill place. its super cheap and easy. you need your own bottle (it cant be an ex brewery one) but i could be an old CO2 fire extinguisher.
i think this disscussion was on here before but i cant find it so. what are your opinions on the grade of gas? do you only use food grade or do you use 'welding' grade or what?
opinions appreciated
Des

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue May 23, 2006 8:41 am

The word on the steets seems to be that it's the same gas...

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Tue May 23, 2006 9:06 am

I thought the canister of gas in a fire extinguisher was tiny - like the sparklet bulbs type things. The majority of the extinguisher contains the water/powder/other stuff.

deadlydes

Post by deadlydes » Tue May 23, 2006 9:20 am

QUOTE (eskimobob @ May 23 2006, 09:06 AM) I thought the canister of gas in a fire extinguisher was tiny - like the sparklet bulbs type things. The majority of the extinguisher contains the water/powder/other stuff.
in the water cylnders there is just a small cannister but the CO2 extinguishers are entirly CO2

thanks for the opinions guys, looks like i could be on to a winner

tribs

Post by tribs » Tue May 23, 2006 9:28 am

Speak to your local Calor outlet first. You may be surprised at how cheap their Co2 can be. I get 14lb cylinders for £10.70 each and they provide the cylinder :P