Lagering Fridge/ Freezer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Frothy

Lagering Fridge/ Freezer

Post by Frothy » Sun May 28, 2006 2:18 am

I love real ale and Bombardier is my fave Bitter but my real goal is to get lagering. I'd like to make some lager with some real flavour unlike all that tinned uh........ rubbish that I have admittedly been drinking for years.

so primary fermentation at ~ 8oc in a fridge
secondary ferm / lagering at between -2oc and 0oc for 1month+

Apparently you can put a fridge thermostat onto a chest freezer and effectively convert it into a large fridge. I know in the states that they have digital thermostats to buy off the shelf that have the full fridge/ freezer temp range.

What do you guys do????

thanks
Matt

moorsd

Post by moorsd » Sun May 28, 2006 12:10 pm

I've recently brewed my first ag lager and didn't have enough space for a chest freezer so bought a fridge to convert instead.

I bought one of these temperature controllers from the states:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16666

Got it from another site mind you that was a bit cheaper. The Ranco ones can be wired for use with a 240vac supply. The benefit of these is that you don't actually have to pull the fridge/freezer apart to install it, as it basically just turns the fridge on and off which maintains the temperature at the set level. I've 'hard' wired mine in but it can be set up so it just plugs into the fridges existing plug. It's really easy to adjust the temperature as well, which is great for slowly lowering the temp to avoid shocking the yeast! :D

My works great, and the lager is coming on nicely. Obviously I won't be able to get below freezing, but 2-3oc for lagering is sufficient. It also has the benefit that I can now brew all year round as I can ferment ale in there at 18oc when the weather is hot!

Once the lager is done I'm going to stick my cornie in there so it is served chilled as well....hmmm summer BBQ's with home brewed lager :beer

It's a more expensive way of doing it admittedly, but I think it's worth the investment, as DAAB says you can always wait for the winter months and do it then....personally I'm not that patient :lol:

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sun May 28, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah I love the idea of having a precicely temperature controlled cabinet but as you say I havent got the room for a large chest freezer so maybe a small one, I've seen them around 2nd hand for about £20.
I didn't realise that the Ranco ones were wirable to 240v, I even resorted to looking for controllers like this that apparently they use on fishing boats but they cost a fortune. My aunt works for RS components so 25% discount could be handy :)

Hop and Grape sell those Ranco thermostats->
http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/admin/cata ... e=0&page=1
if only I had some money :S

Matt

full malty

Post by full malty » Sun May 28, 2006 8:03 pm

QUOTE (Frothy @ May 28 2006, 02:18 AM) I love real ale and Bombardier is my fave Bitter but my real goal is to get lagering. I'd like to make some lager with some real flavour unlike all that tinned uh........ rubbish that I have admittedly been drinking for years.

so primary fermentation at ~ 8oc in a fridge
secondary ferm / lagering at between -2oc and 0oc for 1month+

Apparently you can put a fridge thermostat onto a chest freezer and effectively convert it into a large fridge. I know in the states that they have digital thermostats to buy off the shelf that have the full fridge/ freezer temp range.

What do you guys do????

thanks
Matt
I lager by putting the fermentor in a bucket of cold water. And it works well and doesn't cost me a penny.

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Sun May 28, 2006 9:05 pm

But surely the water will warm up to ambient air temp? - Can't imagine you get enough evaporation to keep it cool :huh:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon May 29, 2006 5:28 pm

Good luck, theres nothing like a good homebrewed lager. I too do it in the winter/spring and it turns out great in time for summer B)

full malty

Post by full malty » Mon May 29, 2006 7:20 pm

QUOTE (eskimobob @ May 28 2006, 09:05 PM)But surely the water will warm up to ambient air temp? - Can't imagine you get enough evaporation to keep it cool  :huh:
If the weather is very warm then I soak the brewshed down with a hose a couple of times, and let it cool down. I've also run a line from a flash chiller through the bath to cool it down, in exceptional weather.

I've found the 'cold water bath' method of lagering fine. The results have been excellent and that's usually the most important test. There's not much difference between lagering in a cold cave and in a cold garden shed. :)

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Tue May 30, 2006 4:02 am

QUOTE (full malty @ May 29 2006, 07:20 PM) QUOTE (eskimobob @ May 28 2006, 09:05 PM)But surely the water will warm up to ambient air temp? - Can't imagine you get enough evaporation to keep it cool  :huh:
If the weather is very warm then I soak the brewshed down with a hose a couple of times, and let it cool down. I've also run a line from a flash chiller through the bath to cool it down, in exceptional weather.

I've found the 'cold water bath' method of lagering fine. The results have been excellent and that's usually the most important test. There's not much difference between lagering in a cold cave and in a cold garden shed. :)
When I bought my malt extract etc from the homebrew shop the other day the owner looked at me asif I was strange when I said I was going to chill the brew. His exact words "I think you've got confused with some of those american cool filtered beers"
So I guess loads of people think that lager is just about the flavour and don't realise it came from those really cold parts of Europe

fingers crossed - just nabbed my grans old fridge :)
Matt

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue May 30, 2006 7:18 am

QUOTE (Frothy @ May 30 2006, 05:02 AM) fingers crossed - just nabbed my grans old fridge :)
:o

Where's she going to keep the milk ?

:rolleyes:

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Tue May 30, 2006 11:45 am

QUOTE (andy @ May 30 2006, 07:18 AM) QUOTE (Frothy @ May 30 2006, 05:02 AM) fingers crossed - just nabbed my grans old fridge :)
:o

Where's she going to keep the milk ?

:rolleyes:
Tsk! The youth of today!?! :rolleyes: :D

tribs

Post by tribs » Tue May 30, 2006 2:18 pm

I have been thinking about this also. I have a perfectly good yet a little mouldy fridge/freezer in the garage doing nothing. Annoyingly, I can't fit cornies in the fridge and can only fit one in the freezer. I was thinking I could fit a controller on the freezer and lager in a cornie and the fridge would probably sit around cellar temps where I could cold condition my bottles.

For the controller I was thinking of ordering this baby

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/produ ... tBool=true

Not very expensive and with a built in 16A 240VAC relay so you can simply wire the power cable through it. I am quite happy brewing ales at the moment so its a long term project. We'll see how things develop ;)

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Tue May 30, 2006 3:55 pm

QUOTE (tribs @ May 30 2006, 02:18 PM) I have been thinking about this also. I have a perfectly good yet a little mouldy fridge/freezer in the garage doing nothing. Annoyingly, I can't fit cornies in the fridge and can only fit one in the freezer. I was thinking I could fit a controller on the freezer and lager in a cornie and the fridge would probably sit around cellar temps where I could cold condition my bottles.

For the controller I was thinking of ordering this baby

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/produ ... tBool=true

Not very expensive and with a built in 16A 240VAC relay so you can simply wire the power cable through it. I am quite happy brewing ales at the moment so its a long term project. We'll see how things develop ;)
Just the ticket - I can't really see how thats differenc to the Ranco one apart from being £40 cheaper.

Also-> My gran got a new fridge although it would be funny to just go and put a corny' keg in some unsuspecting persons fridge; imagine their face in the morning?

Matt

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue May 30, 2006 4:20 pm

QUOTE (Frothy @ May 30 2006, 03:55 PM)a corny' keg in some unsuspecting persons fridge; imagine their face in the morning?

Matt
Glee, I would imagine :D

noby

Post by noby » Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 am

Matt,

I picked up an old fridge, and a temp. indicator (kindly 'donated' from work). By measuring the temp. as I adjusted the dial on the fridge I found I can go from near freezing (0-2C) to 12C, and by switching off the fridge it holds the temp. at a steady 18C. Something to try out before you rush out and buy a temp. controller.

Cormac

bod

Post by bod » Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 am

i like the look of those temp controllers!!!! :D