Wooden lid for boiler?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hogarth
Under the Table

Wooden lid for boiler?

Post by Hogarth » Thu May 14, 2015 7:26 pm

So, I'm fitting a chimney to my SS stockpot boiler, and my plan is to put it through the back half of the lid and hinge the front half so it can open independently. Instead of trying to do all this with the original stainless-steel lid, I thought it might be easier to start again with a nice thick wooden lid of oak. In fact, I've already bought the oak. But now I'm beginning to have second thoughts. Will the wood warp from the heat and steam (It's 2" thick)? Should I line the underside with something? And if so, what?

Just wondered if anyone else done this, and what the issues were? I think it would look classy, but not if it's warped and blistered and poisoning the beer…

darkonnis

Re: Wooden lid for boiler?

Post by darkonnis » Thu May 14, 2015 8:47 pm

can't see much of an issue outside of it warping. you could find a lacquer or high temperature varnish or something to keep the water off? There is some one on here jean-luc maybe? who has something like what you propose.

jamesb
Hollow Legs

Post by jamesb » Thu May 14, 2015 8:48 pm

I use a 18mm plywood lid on my 800l copper, I doubt you'll have a problem with 2" oak!
James

"When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Thu May 14, 2015 10:59 pm

darkonnis wrote:can't see much of an issue outside of it warping. you could find a lacquer or high temperature varnish or something to keep the water off? There is some one on here jean-luc maybe? who has something like what you propose.
Yeah, I remember Jean-Luc's boiler, I was inspired by it. A varnished piece of plywood for the lid, IIRC. Perhaps he'll be along to tell us how it's holding up… :D
jamesb wrote:I use a 18mm plywood lid on my 800l copper, I doubt you'll have a problem with 2" oak!
Thanks, that's reassuring. Is it varnished on the underside?

gobuchul

Post by gobuchul » Thu May 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Plywood is very strong.

If you get marine plywood it is very resistance to moisture. That's why they build boats out of it/ :D

Not sure how it copes with raised temperatures?

jamesb
Hollow Legs

Post by jamesb » Fri May 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Hogarth wrote:
jamesb wrote:I use a 18mm plywood lid on my 800l copper, I doubt you'll have a problem with 2" oak!
Varnished all over, only so I don't have to care which way round I put it. Screwfix cheapo yacht varnish is fine once cured properly.
James

"When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Fri May 15, 2015 6:51 pm

jamesb wrote:
Hogarth wrote:
Varnished all over, only so I don't have to care which way round I put it. Screwfix cheapo yacht varnish is fine once cured properly.
Super. Thanks. I shall stop worrying and crack on with it.